ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa needed for schengen countries if i hold a Norway work p

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dhruv45in

Visa needed for schengen countries if i hold a Norway work p

Post by dhruv45in » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi. I hold a 2 year Norway work permit and i live in UK on EEA family visa.
Do i need to have a schengen visa to visit EU countries like spain, germany etc or this norway work permit, which a part of schengen, enough to travel to these countries ?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:03 pm

If it is on the list of Schengen effective permits, then yes. Norway is mentioned in this document. But is this document still valid if you live now in the UK? You will not need a visa if you hold a residence card (there are no EEA family visas).

dhruv45in

Post by dhruv45in » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:28 pm

thanks for the reply 86ti. I live in UK as my wife works here and travel to norway every other month, i work on 1 month on 1 month off. So this work permit for Norway is still valid so is my EEA family permit here in UK.
So is this Oppholdstillatelse that i hold should get me into any other schengen country without needing any other visa.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:47 pm

My understanding is that this residence permit allows you travel visa-free within the Schengen zone just as the residence card (in another thread you said you have one) but with the general caveat that with the latter you would need the company of your wife (or follow her at a later date). On the upside the RC would also allow you to travel to non-Schengen EEA member states, but again with the same caveat. The RC has no meaning with respect to Switzerland.

dhruv45in

Post by dhruv45in » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Yeah i get your point. I do have a EEA Residence Card which i was referring as a EEA family permit here. So yeah I phoned the german consulate and they said if its a valid norwegian permit it should be okay.
And i prefer this as with the RC i need to be with my EU spouse :)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:48 am

86ti wrote:The RC has no meaning with respect to Switzerland.
Sorry, I do not understand this.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:20 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
This is a quirk of Switzerland, Christian noticed it, and raised it before here. http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

UK RC, does not allow visa free entry into Switzerland, even if
your only in transit to another Schengen state, which allows
visa free entry to UK RC holders.

And according to Official Swiss site, its still as odd.
http://www.bfm.admin.ch/content/bfm/en/ ... ml#a_faq_2
Swiss FAQ wrote: Question
I am neither a citizen of the EU nor of the EEA, resident in the United Kingdom, and married to an EU citizen; thus, I am an EU spouse. My British residence permit (EEA Family member Residence Documentation) does not guarantee essentially entry into the Schengen area without a visa. However, a number of Schengen states allow me to enter their territory without a visa, because I am an EU spouse and holder of UK Residence Documentation. Am I entitled to enter Switzerland?

Answer
No. EU spouses holding UK Residence Documentation still need a visa to enter Switzerland. Furthermore, holding a visa is a requisite for people entering Switzerland and proceeding to a Schengen state that has lifted visa requirements. Please check with the appropriate diplomatic mission what EU or Schengen states have waived visa requirements.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:58 pm

acme4242 wrote:This is a quirk of Switzerland, Christian noticed it, and raised it before here. http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Christians issue was different. In that case it was the spouse of a UK citizen who had ILR. No RC was involved. In his case, the problem is that ECJ rulings, specifically MRAX, have no effect in Switzerland.

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
My question remains.

dhruv45in

Post by dhruv45in » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:22 pm

well came back from germany and it was sweet ! no stamping of the passport even. i dont know which permit they checked ! the UK family permit or the Norway work permit, but i was alone and not with my EU spouse. But they let me in and out if germany without any problem and stamp

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:28 pm

dhruv45in wrote:well came back from germany and it was sweet ! no stamping of the passport even. i dont know which permit they checked ! the UK family permit or the Norway work permit, but i was alone and not with my EU spouse. But they let me in and out if germany without any problem and stamp
Thank you for your feedback. I am just wondering at what point your passport was checked as you obviously travelled from one Schengen country to another.

dhruv45in

Post by dhruv45in » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi 86ti. I travelled from UK to Germany and not from anyother Schegen country, so I had to go through Immigration.