ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

aplication for italian visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vik123
Newly Registered

aplication for italian visa

Post by vik123 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi.

1. My wife who is an indian national just came to the uk 2 months back on a spouse visa. We are planning to go for a holiday to italy at the end of next month hence we are currently in the process of getting a visa for her. One of the requirements is travel insurance (http://www.conslondra.esteri.it/Consola ... a_Docs.htm). However it seems the comparison sites we are going through have made the assumption that the policy holders are permanent residents of the U.K. (https://travelinsurance.confused.com/xm ... ptions.cfm) My wifes uk spouse visa is valid for 2 years. Any ideas what to do?

2. I got my certificate of naturalistion as a british citizen last month however I have not applied for a british passport yet and will not be doing so prior to this holiday (i have a canadian passport). We are applying for my wifes italian visa based on her being a spouse of an eu national. I'm slightly worried about the fact that I dont have a uk passport yet - taking my certificate to the appointment with the italian consulate should be fine i hope???

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Requirement is that you should be a resident of UK. My wife was in a similar situation before she got her PR. She was able to get travel insurance to travel in Europe. You need a UK address and hence the 'residency' requirement.

Can't comment on the 2nd one as I had my UK Passport when I went with my wife to get her Schengen Visa.

vik123
Newly Registered

Post by vik123 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:05 pm

i have just gone with direct travel insurance http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/faq/how- ... ident.aspx. all others i came across specified you have to have been living in the uk for 6 months

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:18 pm

The spouse of an EU citizen who accompany or join the EU citizen,
have less documents to submit, as its under EU law.

By law the application is free, and all you need to submit is proof of your
British Citizenship, and marriage cert,
However in recent times, the EU commission are bending the law
and allow demands for either a letter of invitation or proof that you
will travel together.

The documents requirements to accompany or join an EU spouse
in Italy are the same.
Here are the document requirements to join
http://www.conslondra.esteri.it/Consola ... e_Docs.htm
1) visa application form (click here)

2) one recent colour passport-size photo;

3) passport or travel document valid for at least three months after visa expiry date, with at least two adjacents blank pages to affix the visa sticker;

4) copy of the EU or European Economic Area citizen’s identity document or passport along with a declaration requesting the presence of the family member in Italy and swearing to be in possession of the requisites foreseen by the law;

5) administrative documentation (marriage certificate, full birth certificate, etc.) attesting to the familial relationship. In the case of minor children, written permission from the child's other parent for the visa to be issued (see our website "Visa for Minor").
saying that, its always a good idea to have medical insurance.

vik123
Newly Registered

Post by vik123 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:01 am

cheers acme. the consolato site is awful. I wish they would make the requirements more clear.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:02 pm

vik123 wrote:i have just gone with direct travel insurance http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/faq/how- ... ident.aspx. all others i came across specified you have to have been living in the uk for 6 months
No need for travel insurance if you are the spouse of an EU citizen. You should get EHIC cards for both of you though.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Re: aplication for italian visa

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:06 pm

vik123 wrote:2. I got my certificate of naturalistion as a british citizen last month however I have not applied for a british passport yet and will not be doing so prior to this holiday (i have a canadian passport). We are applying for my wifes italian visa based on her being a spouse of an eu national. I'm slightly worried about the fact that I dont have a uk passport yet - taking my certificate to the appointment with the italian consulate should be fine i hope???
If you are traveling at the end of October, the timing may work to apply for UK passport now. You usually get documents back within 2 weeks of applying and passport soon after that.

Do you have an interview or appointment with Italians?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
vik123 wrote:i have just gone with direct travel insurance http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/faq/how- ... ident.aspx. all others i came across specified you have to have been living in the uk for 6 months
No need for travel insurance if you are the spouse of an EU citizen. You should get EHIC cards for both of you though.
The EHIC does not replace travel insurance. In fact, the cheap offers out there require the insuree to have the EHIC with them while travelling.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:14 pm

86ti wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
The EHIC does not replace travel insurance. In fact, the cheap offers out there require the insuree to have the EHIC with them while travelling.
I should say that there is no legal requirement to have travel insurance in order to get a visa if you are a family member of an EU citizen.

I personally do not buy travel insurance and tend to think of it as a waste of money. Others will surely disagree with me!