ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to Naturalization outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Squarepants
Newly Registered

ILR to Naturalization outside UK

Post by Squarepants » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Hello,

Would appreciate your thoughts on the following scenario.

1. I'm due to get my ILR in early March-2012
2. With the above, I should be eligible to apply for Naturalization in early March-2013.
3. However, I'm looking to study in Europe and the study will begin in January-2013, i.e. 2 months before the naturalization eligibility.

Provided my absences are within the maximum of 450 days in 5 years and 90 days in the last 12 months preceding the naturalization, will I still be able to apply for the British citizenship?

Also, would I need to do this application from within the UK or could I do it from the country I'm planning to study in through the British Embassy.

Thank you!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:39 pm

How long are the planned studies?

You may not meet the Chapter 18 Annex F - The future intentions requirement.

Squarepants
Newly Registered

Post by Squarepants » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Jambo wrote:How long are the planned studies?

You may not meet the Chapter 18 Annex F - The future intentions requirement.
Hi Jambo,

first of all, thank you so much for the link to the annex. It has provided me with some new insights.

My studies are for just 1 year. Also, the plan is that my unmarried partner will stay in the UK and will apply for the citizenship.

Another thought has just occurred to me. I could apply for ILR as early as beginning of February-2012, i.e. within one month of the 5 years period. In that case, 12 months after the ILR would lapse in February-2013.

So technically, if my studies only start in January-2013, by February-2013, my total number of days absent from the UK in the last 12 months would be about 60 days or so. I wonder if I could still apply for naturalization if I come back and lodge my application before 90 days' absence kicks in.

Also, do you know if I could send the above sort of question to the UKBA enquiries' e-mail address and get their official opinion?

Thanks again!

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:32 pm

What type of answer are you expecting from the Home office?
Only you know what your future intentions are.
Also, the naturalization application assumes you live and have an address in the UK (since this is what you declare on your form).
Apart from that, if you fulfill the residential requirments then your application is straightforward and should be successful.

Squarepants
Newly Registered

Post by Squarepants » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Backer wrote:What type of answer are you expecting from the Home office?
Only you know what your future intentions are.
Also, the naturalization application assumes you live and have an address in the UK (since this is what you declare on your form).
Apart from that, if you fulfill the residential requirments then your application is straightforward and should be successful.
Hi Backer.

I was just thinking that I would confirm with them if in my scenario described above I would still qualify for the British citizenship. The thing is I'd really like to get into my dream school which is in mainland Europe and this school fits me well due to my age and aspirations. However, at the moment I don't know even if I'll get there. There are a number of schools that I could attend in England, but they are of slightly lower caliber.

As I said, my partner will stay behind in the UK and we'll be renting a place for the 2 of us which I'm intending to come back whenever there's a school break.

I do hope that I would qualify for the naturalization and yet be able to get into my dream school. The problem is that the studies only start once a year in January, so, otherwise, I'd have to wait for another year which could put me out of running due to my age:(

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 am

Why not come back to UK for a week or so and apply for naturalisation via NCS and go back to your studies, simple. Ask your partner to apply for appointment at NCS before you arrive back in UK. I would say come on a weekend, apply on monday and leave again by next weekend.