ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rejection for SVV at the border?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CondorVilla
Newly Registered

Rejection for SVV at the border?

Post by CondorVilla » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi,

Has anyone been or heard of someone rejected for a student visitor visa as a non-visa national (Chile) at the border? I have all the necessary paperwork (more than enough funds to cover the 5 months, paperwork from the English school I will be studying at, address and phone number of the place I will be staying) but I'm still nervous and sort of wish I had applied in advance (I'm traveling in 2 weeks).

Also, if you get the visa do they tell you how long you can stay for or is it automatically up to 6 months?

Thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:44 pm

If you have read the requirements and have all the necessary paperwork you should be fine. Or you can pay 76 pounds, apply in advance, and remove any and all doubt.

You should be granted entry for the full six months unless there you have been in the UK recently for some considerable time.

CondorVilla
Newly Registered

Post by CondorVilla » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Lucapooka wrote:If you have read the requirements and have all the necessary paperwork you should be fine. Or you can pay 76 pounds, apply in advance, and remove any and all doubt.

You should be granted entry for the full six months unless there you have been in the UK recently for some considerable time.
In retrospect I probably should have applied but with 14 days until my trip I don't think I can now.

Do you know if I apply, go for the 6 months, return to my country and then apply to do a masters program (and therefore a full student visa) will I be less likely to get it because I have already been in the UK before?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:16 pm

The time spent in the UK as a student visitor will not matter as you be making an application to enter in a different category and are therefore not subject to the general limits of a visitor.

CondorVilla
Newly Registered

Post by CondorVilla » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Lucapooka wrote:The time spent in the UK as a student visitor will not matter as you be making an application to enter in a different category and are therefore not subject to the general limits of a visitor.
Thanks very much for your help!

raikel003
Newly Registered

Post by raikel003 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 am

Hi CondorVilla, Did you end up applying for the Student Visitor Visa? How did it go and what did you do?? Because I have the same problem at the moment, I wanted to know if the visa is valid for the full 6 months? Because I saw some websites that said, that the visa is only valid 7 days before the course starts and after.. Is this true?

CondorVilla
Newly Registered

Post by CondorVilla » Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 am

raikel003 wrote:Hi CondorVilla, Did you end up applying for the Student Visitor Visa? How did it go and what did you do?? Because I have the same problem at the moment, I wanted to know if the visa is valid for the full 6 months? Because I saw some websites that said, that the visa is only valid 7 days before the course starts and after.. Is this true?
Hi, I didn't apply for the visa ahead of time and everything went well at the border - the girl didn't even look at it and had to ask her colleague how long the visa was for, stamped the passport, and that's it. She didn't even ask to look at any of the paperwork.

Obviously this depends so much on who you get at the border (I had a friend coming to visit the UK as an American and she was grilled for now apparent reason for 10 minutes). If you're nervous, apply for the visa ahead of time. If you have everything in order and you can take the stress, just go for it.