ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS equivalent A1 score...

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

okara87

Post by okara87 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:47 pm

kafm wrote:My wife averaged 4.0 IELTS but one or two were 3.5 and we got a visa.
was it just in speaking and listening she averaged 4?

daud356
Newly Registered

Post by daud356 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Guys,

Can some one please help me as my wifes visa got refused on the basis of IELTS test. She had the following results:

Speaking 3.5
Listening 5.5
Reading 4.0
Writing 5.0

Overall 4.5

They refused the Visa saying that her score was less then 4.0 on Speaking. However, i checked on IELTS web site which clearly indicates that overall 4.5 score is equivalent to B1 level on CEFR. Im not sure what to do now. Can some one plzz help me who have some information on that or some one who had similar problem. If some one does have any info can you please Private message on this forum.

Thanks

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 pm

daud356 wrote:Hi Guys,

Can some one please help me as my wifes visa got refused on the basis of IELTS test. She had the following results:

Speaking 3.5
Listening 5.5
Reading 4.0
Writing 5.0

Overall 4.5

They refused the Visa saying that her score was less then 4.0 on Speaking. However, i checked on IELTS web site which clearly indicates that overall 4.5 score is equivalent to B1 level on CEFR. Im not sure what to do now. Can some one plzz help me who have some information on that or some one who had similar problem. If some one does have any info can you please Private message on this forum.

Thanks
This is very worrying as I was in the impression that 3.0 would be enough for the application to be accepted. Looking through your results, the score is definitely 4.5 in total and that is how IELTS counts the overall all total grade. I think if you can get a letter from the examimnation center that mentions the overall grade for the examination, it would possibly help your refusal to be overturned.

Best of luck.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 pm

harv wrote:
daud356 wrote:Hi Guys,

Speaking 3.5
Listening 5.5
Reading 4.0
Writing 5.0

Overall 4.5

Thanks

This is very worrying as I was in the impression that 3.0 would be enough for the application to be accepted. Looking through your results, the score is definitely 4.5 in total and that is how IELTS counts the overall all total grade. I think if you can get a letter from the examimnation center that mentions the overall grade for the examination, it would possibly help your refusal to be overturned.

Best of luck.
it is not the overall score which is looked at but the individual scores for speaking and listening.

A score of 3.5 is around a2 however it seems from the ukba English language test document suggests that they will only recognise scores from b2 upwards. This could be because ielts is really designed to test at a higher level than a1 however if ielts are able to give equivalent cefr scores then it seems unfair ukba are not recognising them. I think an foi request or letter to ukba policy department may be needed about this.

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 pm

ILETS only measures above B1 = 4.0 score. So on this technicality a spouse visa can be refused as the minimum level to be reached by spouse applicants is a 4.0 for Ilets exam.

Although the Visa requirements say A1 CEFR requirements, ILETS does not measure below B1 <4.0 so any score below this will result in a Visa refusal.

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 pm

The problem is ILETS only measures above B1 level which equals to a score of 4.0 or above. So anything below this score is deemed not acceptable and a refusal to meet the English Requirements may be granted on this technicality. From reading posts and other research some people have been issued Visa's and others refused. So it looks like it depends on the ECO's discreation. So if you are doing an ILETS test make sure you get a minimum 4.0 in each unit to be on the safe side.

abman51
Newly Registered

Post by abman51 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Got bad news today, my wife's visa (Pakistan) was rejected under the English requirement grounds and these grounds only.

So what do we do now?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:51 pm

The minimum grade required for relevant attributes is 4.0 (for IELTS).
She will need to take another approved exam, and apply again.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

flyguy

Post by flyguy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Yes new application and fee and this time make sure the English tests are passed to the required levels.

ijlal786
Newly Registered

Hello. Need Urgent Help!

Post by ijlal786 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 am

Hello,

Me and my gf want to marry soon. She is currently living in UK however in 2012 I applied for a student visa but the UK embassy rejected me and also gave me a 10 year band. The reason they gave me was that one of my document was not genuine. I requested for an investigation but they did not give me the chance.

I just want to know if we get married and I apply for UK visa will I get the visa? Thanks

ijlal786
Newly Registered

Hello. Need Urgent Help!

Post by ijlal786 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Hello,

Me and my gf want to marry soon. She is currently living in UK however in 2012 I applied for a student visa but the UK embassy rejected me and also gave me a 10 year band. The reason they gave me was that one of my document was not genuine. I requested for an investigation but they did not give me the chance.

I just want to know if we get married and I apply for UK visa will I get the visa? Thanks