ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

flr(m) success..now council house ????

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

b_queen

flr(m) success..now council house ????

Post by b_queen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:19 pm

hi there..im a british citizen and recently my husband got his 2years visa. now our next step is to get a counsil house as right now we are living in a rented house and the condition of the house is not so good..nd im 7months pregnant now. we are thinking it will be good if we get a council house before our baby is born.

now my question is...

now i know im eligible to apply for council house...if my husband also jointly apply with me..then is the application gonna be accepted??

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Your husband can't apply jointly with you. You have to be assessed as if you were an individual and be granted or refused on that basis. If your husband does apply with you then he will be in breach of the conditions of his leave. Obviously, if you are given accommodations as an individual, he may live there with you if there is permission from the council to do so and that does not contribute to overcrowding.

b_queen

Post by b_queen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:59 pm

so if i apply individually then the council might give him permission to stay with me/.?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:04 pm

It would normally be in your contract if you were not allowed other occupants. Generally it's fine. The point I'm making is the size and type of property allocated would be based on your situation as if you were not married although his income would have a bearing if the allocation is means-tested.

b_queen

Post by b_queen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:41 pm

thankx for the info.....so can u advice me on which way will be good for me ..like......any way i can get a council house??..as i need it urgently

Mike338
Newly Registered

Post by Mike338 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:06 pm

thankx for the info.....so can u advice me on which way will be good for me ..like......any way i can get a council house??..as i need it urgently
It is most unlikely you will get council housing "urgently". You must join a waiting list after application. Depending upon the area you live in your wait could last years unless anything you have special circumstances like immediate family in the area of application or significant medical needs. Bear in mind the shortage of local government properties and that vulnerable people with young children will receive priority.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:19 am

any way i can get a council house??..as i need it urgently
Any reason for that? For example, has your current landlord given you notice to quit? Are you in danger of being homeless?

Also, you are mentioning Council Housing, but what about Housing Association accommodation? Are you trying that as well? Or in your area, is there a joint waiting list, covering both Council Housing and also local Housing Associations? (For example like here in Birmingham)
John

ultimate12570

Post by ultimate12570 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:45 am

John wrote:
any way i can get a council house??..as i need it urgently
Any reason for that? For example, has your current landlord given you notice to quit? Are you in danger of being homeless?

Also, you are mentioning Council Housing, but what about Housing Association accommodation? Are you trying that as well? Or in your area, is there a joint waiting list, covering both Council Housing and also local Housing Associations? (For example like here in Birmingham)
we have been in the same situation, Landlord notice doesn't not have any value, our landlord gave us a notice to quit bcoz he couldn't pay the house mortgage so the bank was going to get the house back, although landlord was not paying the mortgage for more that 6 months but didn't tell us when we signed the agreement with him, anyway we went to the council and our every hope was turned down, they just put our name on the waiting list which might take more than 5 years to get a council house, Lol! I just felt sad when i read your post,Got FLR M now Council House, Hello where on earth r u? you got FLR M not a permit to get a Council House, Millions of people waiting on the Long List! and Pay 90% of their Salary in privately rented accomodation, bcoz this place is damn expensive when it comes to accomodation!