ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation question - dependants and spouse

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Earl Grey
Newly Registered

Naturalisation question - dependants and spouse

Post by Earl Grey » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Hi All,

I’m going to apply for naturalisation in March 2007 after been in the UK for 4 (WP) + 1 (ILR) years. My problem is that at that time my wife and kids will be UK residents for only 3.5 years as WP dependants plus 1 year on ILR. I understand that I can include my kids in my application as dependants, but what about my wife?

I looked on IND website and searched this forum, but unfortunately didn't find anything useful.

I think that there are three possibilities:
  • 1) I include my wife and children in my application on March 2007
    2) I include kids only in my application, and after I become naturalised (I suppose that it will take about 6 months for my application to be considered) my wife applies on the ground of being:
    • 2a) 3 years in the UK and married to BC
      2b) 5 years in the UK
Correct me if I'm wrong - is option (1) possible?

Thanks.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:48 pm

No problems with including the children in your own application, but if I'm reading you post correctly, your wife will have been here for only four and a half years by March next year, and she absolutely must have been here on a day precisely five years before the application is submitted, unless she's married to a British citizen on the day she applies.

I think it boils down to two options:
  • [1] - You and the children apply in March, and then your wife applies as soon as you've got your certificate in your hand, on the basis of being married to a BC, and having lived here for three years. (Very unlikely to take as much as six months) or

[2] - You all wait until your wife can meet the five year requirement, and then apply together - which will save a couple of hundred pounds at today's prices.
I am assuming that the children will still be minors (=under 18) at the time of application - if not, the adult(s) will need to submit their own separate naturalisation applications...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:08 pm

Earl Grey, don't overlook the fact that an applicant for Naturalisation is required to pass the Citizenship Test, and enclose the pass certificate with the application. Even though you and your wife might need to submit your Naturalisation applications at different times .... as Paul says in the message above ... there is nothing to stop you and your wife studying for the Citizenship at the same time. Doing so might just make it easier for the two of you to each pass the test.

The British Citizenship Test Study Guide is recommended.
John

Earl Grey
Newly Registered

Post by Earl Grey » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:09 am

Thank you Paul and John! Very helpful!