ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A few questions about changing jobs

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

barbie1

A few questions about changing jobs

Post by barbie1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:03 am

If you were to simply quit your job without having found anything else ( I realise that'd be dumb) do you have to leave the country at once or are you allowed to stay here at all looking for another job if you're on an employer sponsored tier 2 visa?

How easy is it to get a new employer sponsor you before you start working for them and switching from your current position to a new one?

I am asking this question because I do not know the willingness of new employers to issue you with a visa when you usually have to do a probationary period of at least 6 months before they decide to officially hire you.

I do not know the answer to these questions because I had been working for my current employer whilst on my post study work permit so they already wanted me to be with them when time came to switch to tier 2 but I don't know how it works for new employers who don't even know you yet...

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: A few questions about changing jobs

Post by geriatrix » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:38 am

barbie1 wrote:If you were to simply quit your job without having found anything else ( I realise that'd be dumb) do you have to leave the country at once or are you allowed to stay here at all looking for another job if you're on an employer sponsored tier 2 visa?
Reading the Tier 2 policy guidance will help.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

barbie1

Re: A few questions about changing jobs

Post by barbie1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:49 pm

sushdmehta wrote:http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf]Tier 2 policy guidance[/url] will help.
Thanks for that. It is next to impossible to find the answers to my questions on there, I thought I'd receive help in form of informal chat by other forum members...

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:43 am

The response is relevant only to the query included in "quotes". the answer to which is clearly mentioned in the said document - should you care to read it.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 pm

sushdmehta wrote:The response is relevant only to the query included in "quotes". the answer to which is clearly mentioned in the said document - should you care to read it.

I have read through all of that even before you posted. My understanding is that you are here for as long as you are working for your sponsor. Should you stop working for them, you either have to find another sponsor at once or have arranged this before your current job is terminated, or have to leave the country at once. However, I am still a bit unclear whether this is like I just stated therefore I needed a more informal response than your link. Thank you!

sumitgupta_mact
Newly Registered

Post by sumitgupta_mact » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 am

Are you talking about Tier 2 ICT visa?

If you leave your job in the UK and seek a new employer, hence a new COS and a new visa - there is a requirement that you have to work with your employer for 12 months before you can get 30 points for COS. This is what the new guidance says.