ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizien marrying moroccan woman honeymoon spain

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

primnproper
Newly Registered

british citizien marrying moroccan woman honeymoon spain

Post by primnproper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 pm

I am a British citizien marrying a moroccan woman in march and we would like to honeymoon in spain. is this realistic how difficult would it be for her to obtain a visa

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:58 am

Where is your wife at present? In the UK or Morocco? If you're applying for a Schengen visa through the Spanish consulate in the UK (assuming that's where she's living) you may have a problem submitting the application before the wedding...which you would need to do. Once you're married, you would apply with the marriage certificate and as a spouse of a British citizen the visa would be free.
The Spanish Consulate unfortunately tends to be one of the more unco-operative members of the Schengen agreement when it comes to visa applications.

Aimar

Post by Aimar » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:59 am

Well, in theory going by the directive on freedom of movement you're good to go. In practice however...it's a different matter. If you married or are getting married in the UK with a UK registry issued marriage certificate then you should be fine, if you married or are going to get married outside of the EU then the spanish will require you to have your marriage registered by the UK authorities before granting your wife a visa.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:07 am

Aimar, I was taking into consideration the fact that the couple want to honeymoon in Spain...which would mean the application would need to be submitted before they are married. The Spanish Consulate won't grant a Schengen visa as a family member of a British citizen without the marriage certificate.
Also, although the EU directive states that there should be no delay in issuing a Schengen visa to a family member, in practice, a visa application can take several weeks to process. At peak holiday times, even longer.

Aimar

Post by Aimar » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:43 am

Casa, absolutely correct. I think also a lot depends on where the couple is resident.

primnproper
Newly Registered

Post by primnproper » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:07 pm

my future wife is in morocco and i will be marrying there. then i wanted to take her to Spain or possibly Turkey after reading about Spain may be difficult

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 am

Once you are married, you have a right to be together as you travel. But some embassies are particularly difficult for visas. Spain is somehow very difficult. Germany is more professional at many of their embassies.

Where will you be living after you marry?

If I were you, I would enjoy getting married and then either go on a honey moon somewhere that does not require a visa, or delay the honey moon for a few months.

magking
Newly Registered

Post by magking » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:15 pm

As far as I know, Moroccans do not need a visa to go to Turkey. So I would have the honeymoon there if I were you.