ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Inappropriate Student Visa Application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ivailo Todorov
Newly Registered

Inappropriate Student Visa Application

Post by Ivailo Todorov » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Hi all,

last month I applied for an extension of my student visa because I though it expires on 31 Aug 2006. It turned out that it expires extually 31 Aug 2007. Really Really stupid !!! Anyway I got my passport back with a notice that I do not have to do anything.
The question is, does anyone know if I can get back my application fee or at least something. That was a huge mistake!!!

Regards,
Ivaylo

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:05 am

I think you should do nothing. Your application will be refused and returned to you, however, you will lose the administration fee.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: Inappropriate Student Visa Application

Post by Dawie » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:37 am

Ivailo Todorov wrote:Hi all,

last month I applied for an extension of my student visa because I though it expires on 31 Aug 2006. It turned out that it expires extually 31 Aug 2007. Really Really stupid !!! Anyway I got my passport back with a notice that I do not have to do anything.
The question is, does anyone know if I can get back my application fee or at least something. That was a huge mistake!!!

Regards,
Ivaylo
I think you should be grateful they didn't cancel your visa on the grounds of terminal stupidity. The fee you pay is an administration fee and as such is non-refundable. It's up to you to make sure that your application is correct before submitting it.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:30 am

Dawie wrote: I think you should be grateful they didn't cancel your visa on the grounds of terminal stupidity.
I think you should be a bit more careful with your wording because I have noticed that lately you have been unreasonably harsh with people seeking friendly advice.
There is no one on this planet who has not done stupid things in their lives including yourself but it does not mean they are all "terminally stupid".

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:59 am

Jeff Albright wrote:
Dawie wrote: I think you should be grateful they didn't cancel your visa on the grounds of terminal stupidity.
I think you should be a bit more careful with your wording because I have noticed that lately you have been unreasonably harsh with people seeking friendly advice.
There is no one on this planet who has not done stupid things in their lives including yourself but it does not mean they are all "terminally stupid".
Folks, please note we have several emoticons that can take a harshly-worded note and make it a bit more friendly.

:? :wink: & :twisted: might have helped a bit here.

Just a suggestion, not a command. We encourage playing friendly here so that we all can blow off steam and get a laugh and possibly some information.

Ivaylo --

The Home Office and various associated websites all have disclaimers that the fees are non-refundable since they are processing fees for the work that folks have to do.

If I were in your shoes, I'd write off the money, but also find a way to make a polite inquiry (a touch of humor can't hurt) regarding the refund process and how to go about submitting a request.

You probably won't get anything, but then, again, you might catch a sympathetic ear on a good day and someone might try.

I'm not going to regale you with tales of my many personal experimentations with terminal stupidity. But, be confident that I've written one or two chapters on the subject myself. I feel your pain. ;)

Good Luck!

The Admin

Ivailo Todorov
Newly Registered

Post by Ivailo Todorov » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:51 pm

Thank you everyone.

I also thought that it would be difficult to get any money back, but since they did not do anything but to return my passport back, I assumed there may be some way.

Regards,
Ivaylo