ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Names - National Insurance / ILR

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ayubson
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Names - National Insurance / ILR

Post by ayubson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi All,

I need some advice from you guys. I got married to my wife in India back in May, we have an official marriage certificate etc. However, when she made an application for a Spouse Visa, she used the name that was on her passport ie. her maiden name. I provided all the relevant sponsorship details etc. and she is now here in the UK thanks to all the advice you guys gave.

Now, the question i have is as follows, if she wants to apply for a National Insurance number what name should she be using? Continue to use her maiden name, which is what the Spouse Visa is under? Or should she use my family name? If she uses her maiden name then we should specify as civil partnership right?

Also, when it comes to ILR application, i take it we continue to apply using her maiden name. And then once ILR is granted we can get a civil ceremony done here and she can adopt my family name? Is this correct?

I hope my confusion makes sense and i hope you guys are able to help me. Thanks.

PS. Keep up the good work everybody. Helping each other is the only way to make this world a better place.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Your wife doesn't have to adopt your family name if she chooses not to. It's common now for women to continue to use their 'maiden' name especially those who want to retain the name they have been using professionally.

If she decides to take your surname, you don't need to have a registry office marriage ceremony. In fact you would be unable to do so, as your marriage is already recognised under British law. A Civil Partnership by the way is for same gender couples. :?
Legally, your wife won't need to do anything apart from notifying bank, doctor, National Insurance etc of the change. For purposes of identification she should also change the name on her passport.