ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please advise on my FLR(M) and possible pitfalls

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

whimzee
Newly Registered

Please advise on my FLR(M) and possible pitfalls

Post by whimzee » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:32 pm

I welcome any advice / insight folks can give me about my current visa situation. Mostly I’m just looking for any general advice, but I do have two SPECIFIC QUESTIONS .

1) Is the FLR (M) form the right one to be using in my situation?
2) My Glasgow Public Inquiry appointment confirmation said that only one person should come to the appointment, but shouldn’t my soon-to-be-husband come as well?

So, my story. . .

I’m a US citizen. My British partner and I have been together for nearly 2 years now and have lived together since March 2010. We’re very committed and very much in love.

We were considering getting married earlier this year as I’m tied to a horrible, abusive job because of my work sponsored visa. Both of us were happy as an unmarried couple (difficult family histories of marriage), so we had decided to try to stick it out until March 2012 when we could apply for an unmarried partner visa. But, now, long story short, my employment situation has become unbearable and, although nothing is official, I could be facing redundancy – and separation from the love of my life!

So. . .luckily the certificate of approval has been repealed and we were able to schedule our wedding date for 23 September! :) Ironically, we are both a lot more excited than either one of us thought we would be and this difficult situation has really brought us together as a couple.

I have an appointment for the premium visa on 3 October – in 4 weeks! Hooray! Now I just need to make sure that goes smoothly.

As my job becomes more awful – and tenuous -- day by day, I would love to just give my 4 weeks notice now, but I think it’s probably best to bide my time just in case anything goes wrong with my FLR(M) application. However, I AM starting to apply for other jobs ASAP under the assumption that by the time my 4-week notice period is up, I should have my visa. If something better comes along, I think I’ll just risk any home office c**k-up and just go for it and give notice. If anyone has any CAUTIONARY TALES about this, please do let me know.

As for maintenance.

Our rent is £575 pcm. Council tax is another £125ish. And utilies £50ish. So monthly outgoings for £750 or so. My partner’s income is £35K and mine is £22K. With both our salaries together, we have a weekly take home pay well in excess of the any maintenance requirement. And by my calculations, his monthly net pay is about £2K – which I believe is enough by UKBA standards to support us both. . .unless I am mistaken? Anyone?

Also, as backup, I can get three months of bank statements for my mom’s bank account where I am named as a joint account holder. Technically, it’s her money – I’m only on there for her protection. But it does prove that I have access to about $30K USD should I run into an emergency.

As for the relationship itself, I plan to bring some back documentation about how long we've lived together (joint bills, etc) -- just in case.

So. . .thoughts?

JB1611
Newly Registered

Post by JB1611 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi whimzee,

My partner and I are also getting married on the 23rd Sept, congrats! :)

We are planning to apply in person also; our situation is similar to your except she's a student. I just wondered how you booked at appointment before your wedding took place? I didn't think of doing that... did you have to submit your application when you booked the appointment?

Thanks!

Elena345
Newly Registered

Post by Elena345 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Hey, congrats!

Your case looks like it will be straightforward. My case was a little complicated to yours, but I was given FLR.

FLR M is the right form for you. Once you are issued FLR, then it's a two years before you can apply for SET M, that's if you decide to live in the UK permanently.

If it says you should go on your own, then you should because the appointment is only under your name. At the Glasgow Office, it's not too long of a wait. I didn't apply in person, but when I was there for my biometrics, other couples were applying and most of them said they had only waited about two hours because they had to get biometrics as well.

I would say that you should definitely stick with your job if you can. It will look much better on paper. However, since you and your partner seem to be making more than enough, if you decide to leave you job, it will be okay.

I think you're pretty organised. From what I heard from others, taking extra evidence doesn't hurt. Just make sure you have all your essentials like your marriage certificate and bank statements (yours and your spouses) dating back at least three months.

Other than that, it seems like everything should go smoothly. I wish you the best of luck!

Elena345
Newly Registered

Post by Elena345 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:46 pm

JB1611 wrote:Hi whimzee,

My partner and I are also getting married on the 23rd Sept, congrats! :)

We are planning to apply in person also; our situation is similar to your except she's a student. I just wondered how you booked at appointment before your wedding took place? I didn't think of doing that... did you have to submit your application when you booked the appointment?

Thanks!
Hey whimzee,

You submit your application(and fee) on the day along with your other supporting documents if you're applying in person.

You can just book the appointment on the UKBA page and just bring everything with you on the day.

whimzee
Newly Registered

Post by whimzee » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks everyone!

Wedding next week! Oh my!!

As for booking the appointment, I just went through the site and got something that worked well for us -- they didn't ask about the wedding date or anything.

Unfortunately, my work situation got so bad that it was making me unwell and the doc has signed me off for a fortnight. I'm pretty bummed about this as I really wanted to stick it out. I'm also a bit worried that this could affect my visa-- I don't think I'll have to mention that at the appointment, will I?

Elena345
Newly Registered

Post by Elena345 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:50 pm

whimzee wrote:Thanks everyone!

Wedding next week! Oh my!!

As for booking the appointment, I just went through the site and got something that worked well for us -- they didn't ask about the wedding date or anything.

Unfortunately, my work situation got so bad that it was making me unwell and the doc has signed me off for a fortnight. I'm pretty bummed about this as I really wanted to stick it out. I'm also a bit worried that this could affect my visa-- I don't think I'll have to mention that at the appointment, will I?
Since the doctor signed you off for sick leave, it's not necessary to mention it. It's something beyond your control, so you shouldn't worry about it. If you'll still be employed after your sick leave, then I don't think it's worth mentioning.

whimzee
Newly Registered

Approved!

Post by whimzee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Just as an update all. . .I’ve been approved!!!! Thanks so much for everyone’s advice and kind words. It was actually a breeze, and despite us bringing all kinds of extra documentation, we never even needed an interview as there were no queries about our application. Applying in person is well worth the extra £300 for the piece of mind. It’s still a nervewracking experience, but the folks at the Glasgow PEO know that and they couldn’t have been any nicer.

Now. . .tomorrow to quit my hated job!!!! :D

JB1611
Newly Registered

Post by JB1611 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Did your partner attend the appointment with you? And did you fill in the form online, or just print one out, fill it in and take it with you on the day?

Congrats! :)

whimzee
Newly Registered

Post by whimzee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:23 pm

My husband did come along, though, to be honest, I never did get a solid answer if his presence was needed. We figured that it was safer for him to come along and not be needed then to need him and not have him there. Besides, it’s a still a bit of a nervewracking experience and it was great to have him there for company and moral support.

I had a nightmare of a time trying to fill in the form online (don’t even get me started on the infernal UKBA website!!!!!!) So, I just filled it out by hand and brought it along. You’ll definitely need to bring a printed copy along, so may as well avoid the frustration of dealing with their website and just do it by hand.