ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The overseas earnings lift-up for T1 extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sadtoday
Newly Registered

The overseas earnings lift-up for T1 extension

Post by sadtoday » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:31 am

Hi there,

I am currently applying T1 extension but part of my previous earnings during last 15 months were made in China. As I was so confused by the T1 extension eligibility webpage about earnings:

Code: Select all

How we adjust overseas earnings

An uplift ratio will not be applied to any earnings made while you were in the UK working for an overseas company. If you are already in the UK under Tier 1 (General) and you are applying to extend your stay, you cannot claim uplift rations on any overseas earnings.
So I contact my case worker and the reply is:

"Any earnings from China for which you provide evidence would be converted into UK £s, then multiplied by 3.2."

But the people who answered my call from Immigration Enquiry Bureau on 0870 606 7766 said I cant apply the uplift.

Anyone here please can give me a confirmation?

Thank you so much!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:16 am

You can't apply an uplift to extension applications and given that only extensions are possible now that Tier 1 is closed, the uplift ratio scheme has finished. The guidance has been re-written to reflect the rules as amended so please read this.

hussainkothari
Member of Standing

Post by hussainkothari » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:48 am

Lucapooka is correct. There is nothing called as a upliftment ration any more. Your earnings should be converted to UK pounds and thats it.

-H

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:20 pm

When you say "caseworker" are you referring to an immigration advisor? I hope you didn't pay them any money for the obviously incorrect information.

sadtoday
Newly Registered

Post by sadtoday » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Lucapooka wrote:You can't apply an uplift to extension applications and given that only extensions are possible now that Tier 1 is closed, the uplift ratio scheme has finished. The guidance has been re-written to reflect the rules as amended so please read this.
Thanks Lucapooka for the 1st quick reply, do you mean the T1 extension guidance as the like below?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

sadtoday
Newly Registered

Post by sadtoday » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm

hussainkothari wrote:Lucapooka is correct. There is nothing called as a upliftment ration any more. Your earnings should be converted to UK pounds and thats it.

-H
Hi hussainkothari, thanks for the reply. I was wondering too as i didnt see any relevant info about uplift ration as well in the Policy Guidance. However, the case worker did reply say i can use the uplift. And confirmed it in the 2nd email.

How strange is that!

sadtoday
Newly Registered

Post by sadtoday » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:57 pm

mulderpf wrote:When you say "caseworker" are you referring to an immigration advisor? I hope you didn't pay them any money for the obviously incorrect information.
Hi Mulderpf,

The case worker contacted me first as i have the earning evidence missing. So i told the case worker my situation that I have earned salary for one company and commission for another exporting company. The total earning is enough without applying uplift. But its now hard for me to get the supporting documents for my commission earning. So i was asking about the uplift as i was hoping to use only one earning source to claim the point. I only need 5 points. I have a phd degree 50 and age 20.

It is just so strange why this case worker told me the incorrect infomation! This is the same case worker who is currently working on my case!!

sadtoday
Newly Registered

Post by sadtoday » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:23 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... s+earnings

Also same other case worker in the above topic also said "Please be advised you are able to use the uplift ratio to calculate your previous earnings when applying for PBS Tier 1 General. "

what's going on here???

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm

The topic you quote refers to applications under consideration before Tier 1 (General) scheme was closed for new migrants. The policy was amended after that (April 2011).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

sadtoday
Newly Registered

Post by sadtoday » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:28 pm

sushdmehta wrote:The topic you quote refers to applications under consideration before Tier 1 (General) scheme was closed for new migrants. The policy was amended after that (April 2011).

Thanks sushdmehta! Make sense now. But I still dont know why my case worker told me twice that I CAN USE the uplifting.... :shock:

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:32 pm

If you read the current policy guidance, you will note that the key-words "uplift" or "ratio" are no longer mentioned. Also read points 105-108.

sadtoday
Newly Registered

Post by sadtoday » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:28 pm

sushdmehta wrote:If you read the current policy guidance, you will note that the key-words "uplift" or "ratio" are no longer mentioned. Also read points 105-108.
This is my understanding too. But why the case worker said the opposite??????????

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:31 pm

A question only the caseworker can answer!

abiodua
Newly Registered

Post by abiodua » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:58 am

@sushdmehta
Please i have a question to ask on oversea earning..
Let us say for example i buy goods worth £2,000 here in UK and i send it overseas for sale, and i sell the same goods for £3500 after conversion
The question is this will the caseworker consider the £3,500 as the earning or just the profit of £1500 will be considered for the oversea earning?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:29 am

In the manner you have described, no (way, José!). If you register as self-employed (export trader) with HMRC and declare the turnover from these transactions in your business accounts, then it would be considered. The other alternative would be to declare these transactions on the basis of an business entity registered (import trader) in your home country and provide evidence of that.

Please read the guidance.

abiodua
Newly Registered

Post by abiodua » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks for the clarification because i sold some goods which on conversion will give me about £3,000 but profit on it is just about £400 because i really needed to sell to sort some things so with that i can claim the whole £3000

Sorry to disturb you another question i have.... is there limit to oversea earning that can be declared?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:36 am

There is no numerical limit (it can be 100%) but, rather, there are limits on the type of earnings and how they are being treated (just as there is with UK earnings)

sadtoday
Newly Registered

Post by sadtoday » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:26 am

sushdmehta wrote:A question only the caseworker can answer!
I just received the approval letter and the uplifting is applied!!!!!!!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:10 pm

That is a mistake so please don't assume this applies to others who may be reading this thread. It's either a mistake by the ECO or a mistake by you (insofar that your earnings are sufficient without an uplift and you were not aware of this).

Anyway, well done!

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:15 pm

sadtoday wrote:I just received the approval letter and the uplifting is applied!!!!!!!
Congratulations mate.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:14 pm

sadtoday wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:A question only the caseworker can answer!
I just received the approval letter and the uplifting is applied!!!!!!!
If you weren't eligible for extension without applying uplift to your income, then consider yourself lucky.

sadtoday
Newly Registered

Post by sadtoday » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:37 am

Lucapooka wrote:That is a mistake so please don't assume this applies to others who may be reading this thread. It's either a mistake by the ECO or a mistake by you (insofar that your earnings are sufficient without an uplift and you were not aware of this).

Anyway, well done!
Like I said, my case worker confirmed twice in the emails said it; and in the approval letter, he also said "You earning from XXX Co Ltd are corroborated by the accompanying bank statements, but you have not applied the uplift which applies to earning from China........ we have, therefore, established previous earning of xxx and have awarded 45 points, in line with the published guidance and immigration rules"

What is ECO?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:58 am

That's exactly what is being suggested - luckily your application fell into the hands of an "incompetent" caseworker who has neither read the current policy guidance nor the immigration rules (both of which no longer mention uplift ratio or earning bands for different countries)!

sadtoday
Newly Registered

Post by sadtoday » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:20 am

sushdmehta wrote:That's exactly what is being suggested - luckily your application fell into the hands of an "incompetent" caseworker who has neither read the current policy guidance nor the immigration rules (both of which no longer mention uplift ratio or earning bands for different countries)!
i know what you are saying, and that is also my question, so i mentioned it in my replying email. unfortunately, he didn't reply. But I am sure he definitely is aware of that.