ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit and FLR application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

i_worker
Newly Registered

Work Permit and FLR application

Post by i_worker » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:42 am

Hi ALL,

Now Work Permit application and FLR application are separate.
Is it possible to get a Work Permit approval, and then go (in person) to
one of Home Office branches, i.e. Croydon, Birmingham?
Will it be faster way then applying by post?
Current times - 6-8 weeks are ridiculous.

Does anyone has such experience?

DoubtingThomas
Newly Registered

Post by DoubtingThomas » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:38 am

I don't think we can submit an FLR application in person. I am also facing the same problem...and the new employer is even reconsidering employing me because of the inordinate delays in issuing the FLR and the callous nature of Home Office staff when contacted for an estimate on how long the issual of FLR would take - apparently the processing of payment alone would take 3 weeks and then the the documentation would be sent to Sheffield where they decide on FLR!!.
The bottom line is we can't start work until we get the FLR (Kayalami's advice and I go by it http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=989) although the website says something else http://www.workpermit.com/uk/agency9.htm (see last paragraph).

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:37 am

All FLR applications based on an Immigration Employment Document i.e. submitted on Form FLR(IED) must be submitted by post. I understand these are actually sent back to the 'In Country' FLR Team at Sheffield (where the WP fro example came from in the 1st place). Something to do with IED and FLR issuance being 2 distinct revenue streams and ensuring the authenticity of the IED document. AFAIK there is no way to expedite FLR unless on compassionate grounds e.g. death of a relative requiring you to travel.

tvt

Post by tvt » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:12 pm

I think it is better to travel to France with the WP, get a same day EC in the British Embassy and then come back over here.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:00 pm

tnavon, is that actually possible? If so, I reckon the HO will soon see a sharp decrease in FLR applications, whilst the BC in France will have their hands full :D

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:41 pm

Its not that simple:

1. British Embassy in France only processes long term/ settlement visas for applicants who are legal residents of France i.e. not visitors. You can ask them for an exception to this but I dare say they will say 'non'.

2. The French Embassy in London won't entertain a visa application where you do not have at least 3 months UK FLR after your exit from France - they need an employers letter in any case for the visa applications which nowadays require an appointment. I would be surprised if you got a slot before the end of July/ early August. Add to this visa and travel fees and doesn't seem any better than sitting it out in the UK.

tvt

Post by tvt » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:04 pm

You can now apply online for UK Entry Clearance from the UK Embassy in Paris.

http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:10 pm

Note that you still need to be physically present in France and meet the 'falls within British Embassy, Paris jurisdiction' criteria for the type of visa you are applying. Your chances of getting a WP EC as visitor are next to zero.

uniuni
Newly Registered

Getting EC in my home country???

Post by uniuni » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:10 pm

Hi members!

I have an urgent question about further leave to remain and entry clearance.

I received my work permit yesterday and urgently need to apply for FLR before I start to work because my current leave to remain (student visa) expires this month...
So my question is:

1,Would it be possible to go back to my home country and get a WP entry clearance in British Embassy there? (I called immigration office but different people say different things...)
2, My permit letter clearly says 'thank you for your application to employ [my name], who is currently in the UK'. Would it be a problem when I apply for an entry clearance in my home country? (because I won't be 'in the UK')
3, What sorts of documents do I need to prepare for an EC application?(bank statement? letter from my employer? anything else???)

I would be grateful if anyone could give me any info or advice!!!
Thank you so much!

uniuni