ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport from overseas

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ric1982
Member of Standing

British Passport from overseas

Post by ric1982 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:01 am

Hi,

We have applied for my daughter's Citizenship via MN1 form last month. Now my daughter has plans to travel to India for few months.
When going to India she will be travelling on her Indian Passport which will be invalid as soon as she gets her Citizenship certificate.

(1) Provided that her MN1 application goes through fine, Can we apply for her British Passport from India so that she can travel back to UK?

(2) Do we have to inform NCS about her travel plan next month as her applicaiton is under process?

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: British Passport from overseas

Post by Jambo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:53 am

ric1982 wrote: (1) Provided that her MN1 application goes through fine, Can we apply for her British Passport from India so that she can travel back to UK?
Yes. Just be aware that children passport are issued in 1-2 weeks in the UK but can take much longer in India. Also I believe you will need to apply for an exit visa from the Indian authorities but I'm not familiar with the details
(2) Do we have to inform NCS about her travel plan next month as her applicaiton is under process?
No. It has no affect on the application.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 am

Jambo wrote:
ric1982 wrote: (1) Provided that her MN1 application goes through fine, Can we apply for her British Passport from India so that she can travel back to UK?
Yes. Just be aware that children passport are issued in 1-2 weeks in the UK but can take much longer in India. Also I believe you will need to apply for an exit visa from the Indian authorities but I'm not familiar with the details
No. It has no affect on the application.
Thanks for the quick reply. She will not have any stamp on her Indian passport when she will surrender her passport in India. Will this have any ramifications on (a) when she enters India next month and (b) when we apply for her exit visa in India few months later?

Edit : Or another option is to apply for her visiter Visa when she gets her British passport in India?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:32 am

ric1982 wrote:She will not have any stamp on her Indian passport when she will surrender her passport in India.
You cannot surrender her Indian passport in India.
I hope you are aware that travelling on an Indian passport after acquiring foreign citizenship attracts a penalty. And she may be refused entry in UK under 320A(1) if you did not include her in your settlement application.

When the child is issued a British passport in India, she should receive information alongwith on how to apply for an exit visa. Alternatively, she may use the Indian passport to return to UK (and pay additional penalty when the Indian passport is surrendered in UK).
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:41 am

sushdmehta wrote:
ric1982 wrote:She will not have any stamp on her Indian passport when she will surrender her passport in India.
You cannot surrender her Indian passport in India.
I hope you are aware that travelling on an Indian passport after acquiring foreign citizenship attracts a penalty.

When the child is issued a British passport in India, she should receive information alongwith on how to apply for an exit visa. Alternatively, she may use the Indian passport to return to UK (and pay additional penalty when the Indian passport is surrendered in UK).
I understand that. I dont think her Citizenship certificate is going to be through by the time she travel. It will be after she has reached india.

linearkieran

Post by linearkieran » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:58 pm

How about she travelling now to India on her Indian passport? Not worry about naturalisation certificate OR British passport. Apply for visitor visa from within India and travel back to UK on Indian passport with visitor visa. After arriving complete the procedure for naturalisation certificate/British passport???? Does that sound valid?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:11 am

linearkieran wrote:How about she travelling now to India on her Indian passport? Not worry about naturalisation certificate OR British passport. Apply for visitor visa from within India and travel back to UK on Indian passport with visitor visa. After arriving complete the procedure for naturalisation certificate/British passport???? Does that sound valid?
If she can travel on the Indian passport after getting her Certificate here, then We can apply for her British Passport from India (knowing that it takes loner time). But after doing that what are the ramifications.
i.e. issues when getting out of the country (need of exit visa on new British Passport, Surrendring the Indian Passport)

How long she can stay in India after getting British Passport in India.

These some of few questions that are unanswered at the moment for me.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:36 pm

If she can travel on the Indian passport after getting her Certificate here, then We can apply for her British Passport from India (knowing that it takes loner time). But after doing that what are the ramifications.
i.e. issues when getting out of the country (need of exit visa on new British Passport, Surrendring the Indian Passport)

How long she can stay in India after getting British Passport in India.

These some of few questions that are unanswered at the moment for me.
If travel is not urgent, best scenario will be to wait for her Citizenship certificate and then travel on the British passport. This may take up to 6 wks.