ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need a visit visa to Belfast? I have Stamp 4

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Angel592
Member of Standing

Do I need a visit visa to Belfast? I have Stamp 4

Post by Angel592 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi,

I have Stamp 4 and I want to go visit my friends in Belfast. Do I need to apply for a UK visit visa?

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:41 pm

Under what basis do you have STAMP-4 ?

If you are spouse of an Irish or EU Citizen and your spouse will
accompany you, technically according to UK law you don't
need UK visa, but you need to bring both passports, marriage cert
and a copy of the UK law. see
http://acme.posterous.com/if-no-eea-british-visa

Otherwise, you need to apply for the UK visa, even there is no official
border checking, the GNIB have their little Red van/minibus on the
Newry Road, as you also need an Irish re-Entry Visa.
If you look foreign the PSNI do occasionally stop.
The PSNI are a bad lot, expect 3 days in a cell in Belfast.

If you take train or bus there are regular checks, if you drive
its a matter of luck.

Angel592
Member of Standing

Post by Angel592 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:32 am

acme4242 wrote:Under what basis do you have STAMP-4 ?

If you are spouse of an Irish or EU Citizen and your spouse will
accompany you, technically according to UK law you don't
need UK visa, but you need to bring both passports, marriage cert
and a copy of the UK law. see
http://acme.posterous.com/if-no-eea-british-visa

Otherwise, you need to apply for the UK visa, even there is no official
border checking, the GNIB have their little Red van/minibus on the
Newry Road, as you also need an Irish re-Entry Visa.
If you look foreign the PSNI do occasionally stop.
The PSNI are a bad lot, expect 3 days in a cell in Belfast.

If you take train or bus there are regular checks, if you drive
its a matter of luck.
Thank you. I have been living in Ireland since 1999, baiscly nearly all my life lol. I have 3 Irish born siblings.

Angel592
Member of Standing

Post by Angel592 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:12 pm

I want to go to Belfast by coach from Dublin. I can't find anything on Bus Eireann from Dublin to Belfast. Can anyone please help me?

mudamus
BANNED

Post by mudamus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Angel592 wrote:I want to go to Belfast by coach from Dublin. I can't find anything on Bus Eireann from Dublin to Belfast. Can anyone please help me?
No, take a bus to monaghan and from monaghan to belfast, obstruction free and same back, otherwise, you get kick by garda, but not by any northern Irish force though. :roll:

Angel592
Member of Standing

Post by Angel592 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:27 pm

mudamus wrote:
Angel592 wrote:I want to go to Belfast by coach from Dublin. I can't find anything on Bus Eireann from Dublin to Belfast. Can anyone please help me?
No, take a bus to monaghan and from monaghan to belfast, obstruction free and same back, otherwise, you get kick by garda, but not by any northern Irish force though. :roll:
Umm.. thanks but no thanks. Don't want to get in trouble with the law. I want to have legal entry.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:43 pm

Just do 120km on the M1 you be fine. :lol:

You do need a visa to visit up the north if you are a visa required national for UK, Irish stamp 4 doesn't make any difference. A re-entry visa for Ireland is also needed.

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:52 pm

yes you need uk visa.its doesnot matter what stamp are you on? you still need uk visa.you check check it out www.britishembassy.com

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:18 am

the info given to you someone here is not right..you do need a visa to go to Belfast. It is not under ROI but NI part of the GB.

Cut the long story short you do need a visa. if you are fam of eu then you have to get a uk fam permit .
i get it all the time it is free and issued within 5 days....u have to go to the embassy in Dublin that is pain ...

Angel592
Member of Standing

Post by Angel592 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:29 pm

knapps wrote:the info given to you someone here is not right..you do need a visa to go to Belfast. It is not under ROI but NI part of the GB.

Cut the long story short you do need a visa. if you are fam of eu then you have to get a uk fam permit .
i get it all the time it is free and issued within 5 days....u have to go to the embassy in Dublin that is pain ...
You get what all the time? a Uk family permit or a uk tourist visa? Bdw, I am the sister of 3 Irish born siblings.. and the wife of a British citizen, but he lives in England not Ireland..

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:35 pm

If you are visa required national as per the UK law. Then, you do need a visa if you still hold non EU passport. Why do not you go on british embassy website and check for yourself. In my opinon if you have EU spouse and you do not have card issued by the UK authority but Irish authority with stamp 4 Eu fam you need Uk fam permit issued for 6 months and is free of charge.

I strongly recommend you to go on british embassy website and search for your options.

Angel592
Member of Standing

Post by Angel592 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:12 pm

knapps wrote:If you are visa required national as per the UK law. Then, you do need a visa if you still hold non EU passport. Why do not you go on british embassy website and check for yourself. In my opinon if you have EU spouse and you do not have card issued by the UK authority but Irish authority with stamp 4 Eu fam you need Uk fam permit issued for 6 months and is free of charge.

I strongly recommend you to go on british embassy website and search for your options.
I don't have Stamp 4 EU Fam, I only have Stamp 4. My husband doesn't live in Ireland so I dont think I can get Stamp 4 EU Fam??

malikscompany

hi

Post by malikscompany » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:20 am

you need a visa to visit northern Ireland, do not break the law by entering UK illegally, its not worth it.if you are caught in UK they will keep you in lockup untill immigration comes and take you to a immigration detaintion center, and from there you will be deported to Ireland and will be banned from entering UK for 10 years. so I am telling you dont take the chance, its not worth it. there are no checks at the border but sometimes there are specially if you are not white you are most likely to be stepped by Police or Garda.

if you are working and have a valid reason to visit UK you will not have any problem getting a visa.

good luck my friend

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:16 am

That's the best advice you can get here. After all you have to make your final choice.

Angel592
Member of Standing

Re: hi

Post by Angel592 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:17 pm

malikscompany wrote:you need a visa to visit northern Ireland, do not break the law by entering UK illegally, its not worth it.if you are caught in UK they will keep you in lockup untill immigration comes and take you to a immigration detaintion center, and from there you will be deported to Ireland and will be banned from entering UK for 10 years. so I am telling you dont take the chance, its not worth it. there are no checks at the border but sometimes there are specially if you are not white you are most likely to be stepped by Police or Garda.

if you are working and have a valid reason to visit UK you will not have any problem getting a visa.

good luck my friend
Thank you. I will apply for a UK visa then :)

daddy
Member of Standing

help

Post by daddy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10 am

knapps wrote:the info given to you someone here is not right..you do need a visa to go to Belfast. It is not under ROI but NI part of the GB.

Pls, knaps, could you tell me the process you passed to get the fermily permit, what documents did you submit? did you do the fingerprints in vhf or at the British embassy?,is there any interviews?, is your spouse British?

There are questions that are not applicable to eu family members according to the Directive 38/EC 2004, but we cant avoid them because the application is online, you cant progress to the next page if you skip any question.

I am still considering whether to apply for family permit or to turn up at the boarder with my wife as we did before, though we were let in but wasted over 45 mins, and was adviced to get family permit next time. It says on UKBA website that family permit is not mandatory

Please, do help me with infos.
God bless,
Daddy.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:06 am

Actually it is quite a bit more complicated than this. Some people, who have entered Ireland legally, and who would otherwise require a UK visa, can enter the UK without the otherwise required visa. This is related to the UK/Ireland common travel area.

For example: an Indian person and a French person are married and live in Germany. The Indian spouse has a German issued Residence Card. They can travel visa free to Ireland. And can then travel visa from from Ireland to the UK.

The devil is in the details, but it is legally possible.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Re: help

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:39 am

daddy wrote:I am still considering whether to apply for family permit or to turn up at the boarder with my wife as we did before, though we were let in but wasted over 45 mins, and was adviced to get family permit next time. It says on UKBA website that family permit is not mandatory
Did you have your marriage certificate and both passports with you when you crossed? Interesting that it took so long. Often such crossings take 10 or 15 minutes.

See http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... to-travel/ for links to other people's examples, often entering the UK

Angel592
Member of Standing

Post by Angel592 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
daddy wrote:I am still considering whether to apply for family permit or to turn up at the boarder with my wife as we did before, though we were let in but wasted over 45 mins, and was adviced to get family permit next time. It says on UKBA website that family permit is not mandatory
Did you have your marriage certificate and both passports with you when you crossed? Interesting that it took so long. Often such crossings take 10 or 15 minutes.

See http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... to-travel/ for links to other people's examples, often entering the UK
I have Stamp 4 and I'm married to a British Citizen but he doesn't live with me in Ireland he lives in UK. is there any way I can get an EEA permit?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Angel592 wrote:I have Stamp 4 and I'm married to a British Citizen but he doesn't live with me in Ireland he lives in UK. is there any way I can get an EEA permit?
There must be more to the story....

What passport do you travel on?
Have you lived with your husband before?
Has he ever lived outside the UK?

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:05 am

Angel592 wrote:
I have Stamp 4 and I'm married to a British Citizen but he doesn't live with me in Ireland he lives in UK. is there any way I can get an EEA permit?
back to your first post, your to visit friends in Belfast, right ?
So your travel does not come under EU law,
so your on your own as such.

Check if your a UK visa required national here (another click at the bottom)
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... eral/visa/#

If you are a visa required national.
It will be the full blown UK visit visa procedure.
The UK visa will not be free.

And remember you also need a valid Irish Re-entry visa
if you don't have one already, you need to go to Burg Quay.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:13 am

acme4242 wrote:Anyway your travel does not come under EU law,
so your on your own as such.
You may be right, but I do not think you have the information you need to say this definitively