ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Taking a job overseas while wife on FLR

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Angkag
Newly Registered

Taking a job overseas while wife on FLR

Post by Angkag » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:03 am

Anyone know of the complications we might face from the following circumstances?

1) I am British, wife is Indonesian, we have been married many years, two children with British passports, soon to be moving to the UK to settle permanently
2) I do not have a job currently, but we have more than sufficient settlement funds such that this is a non issue
3) intention is to settle longer term in the UK, kids go to school in UK etc (they are currently young and many years of schooling to go)

I fully expect to get a job quite quickly and easily when I am back, and probably (and preferably) a job in the UK. However, my work experience, which has been very international, makes it a strong possibility that I may be based overseas for a period of time.

It is not my intention or preference at this time to take an overseas posting, but we have to consider this possibility as a job might come up that sees me having to post overseas for a period of time.

I guess the bottom line question is "Is my continued presence required in the UK during the entire FLR and/or ILR process?". I'm hoping that the key issue is that it is not my current intention to leave the UK for any period of time when getting there, as there is currently no job offer, but would be interested if anyone has precedent on this.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:23 am

Interesting question as the guidance on the UKBA site bases its comments on the immigrant being absent for long periods rather than the settled sponsor.

However, as you have been married for longer than 4 years, your wife may enter the UK and take the KOL test and apply for ILR immediately (assuming she has not or will not take this test on a visit to the UK before she applies for settlement, in which case she would be granted ILE) and this will then remove any possibility of your prolonged absence being an issue for her settlement.

Angkag
Newly Registered

Post by Angkag » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks, good advice. We have indeed been married longer than 4 years so this looks like the way to go. Thanks again.