ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married on Tier1 in UK - Rules n regulations how to?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mno2uk

Getting married on Tier1 in UK - Rules n regulations how to?

Post by mno2uk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:32 am

Hi everyone..

I am on a tier 1 HSMP visa in the UK and want to get married to my girlfriend in the UK.

Question:
1) What is the best and correct method to proceed with it as per rules and regulations.

2) Also, are there any restrictions on getting married on Tier 1 ?( If I am not wrong there are for tourist and Holiday maker.. ?)

3) Would I need to go back to my home country and get a spouse visa for which paper work will be done from UK and come back again in the country on that VISA ? or is it possible to stay in the country and get the status changed ?

As I understand that when in the country (UK) you can hold only one valid visa status.

Please help me out and clarify ..and also any present posts my answers can be found from please do let me know .. I will keep looking as well ..

Thanks in advance..

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:59 am

1. Getting married or registering a civil partnership in the UK.
2. Visitors for marriage or civil partnership.
3. If your wife is British or settled, and you are both 21 or over, then you may switch, subject to the English language requirement.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks a lot Vinny for the quick response.. I appreciate it whole heartedly ..

cheers!
vinny wrote:1. Getting married or registering a civil partnership in the UK.
3. If your wife is British or settled, and you are both 21 or over, then you may switch, subject to the English language requirement.

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:07 am

Hi,

I was going through the FLR (M) form and found that they ask questions like where did you meet your partner, when did you decide to marry etc ? I am wondering what answers are they expecting and how much does the language matter ? Would the time period when we met and when we thought to marry matters?

Should I seek professional help or submit the form on my own with the documents required ?

Any help ?

Thanks!
mno2uk wrote:Thanks a lot Vinny for the quick response.. I appreciate it whole heartedly ..

cheers!
vinny wrote:1. Getting married or registering a civil partnership in the UK.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:55 am

Tell the truth. They need to see evidence of a genuine relationship.

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:22 am

Casa wrote:Tell the truth. They need to see evidence of a genuine relationship.
Okay agreed. Of course that will be the case. But its all about how to say it? The worry part is that it all happened too quickly and I am thinking if that will be understood in a wrong way ?

Also, one more question .. would it be okay to delay the submission of papers or there is a timeline that has to be adhered to once married? As I am thinking of delaying it and then applying for it finally once we have both got enough funds to show -- but how many would be enough for them to say YES its a good amount to ensure that the two of us can look after us well without recourse to public funds?

And, anyone aware of the time taken from submission to the final results of it using the method of postal applications.

Thanks!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 am

mno2uk wrote:Hi Guys,

Thank you for everyone on the forum for all the wonderful work n help doing all this while.

I have a question/query I am confused about -

Thing is I came to the UK on a tier1 visa with IELTS qualification which will expire soon (and I cannot use anymore because of its 2 yrs validity)

I got married here and my wife is a british national. I am thinking on the lines of getting the visa status changed now.

The problem/confusion I have is about the English language reqt ..

What should I use for the proof ?

1) Give in Bachelors degree? ( I did my bachelors in a college affiliated to a university that is on the UKBA Points calculator site) and also give evidence letter from the college ( or should it be university) that the degree was taught in english. The main problem is degree has that one last line missing which would normally state that it was taught in English( as its old format)

or

2) Or should I use my Masters degree( which is on PBS calculator list and also says on its face/language that medium of instruction was english only)

or

3) I cannot use IELTS as its soon to expire and I donot want to sit for it an waste more money (will do if thats the last option I have)

or

4) or probably spend another 70-80 pounds to get it done by NARIC and attach that letter with the application?

Is there any window period on when I should apply for the switch ? There are some other things to take care of before I do that and plus I still have my current visa running.. can I wait ??

I have come across this link but its confusing as well if I have to use Bachelors or I can make do with the Masters degree as proof of language/instruction.

Please give your comments and clarify this issue that I have.

Thank you to all

- MNO

==============================================

This text makes me think that in case I use Masters (which was taught in english and has its mention on the PBS as well on the face of it that it was indeed taught in english) - I can use it ..

With effect from 29 November 2010, UKBA has introduced a new English language requirement for those applying for Leave to Enter or Remain in the UK as the spouse, civil partner, fianc�(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-gender partner of a British citizen or someone who is present and settled in the UK.

An applicant can meet the requirement in one of the following ways;

* are a national of a majority English-speaking country; or
* have passed an English language test approved by us at the appropriate level;
* hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree or above.

For further information, please visit the UK Border Agency website at:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... e-partners
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:38 am

Following what is suggested on the webpage should help resolve the confusion:
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

brandnew

Post by brandnew » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Dear Shuhdmehta,
The link you attached still says Bachelor Degree taught in English only is considered(or Masters in UK) but a recent amendment has include Master Degree Taught in English? Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Your not wrong but you are wrong to suggest that this is not covered or referred to in the information being cited. You need to look at page 10 of the document that was linked.

jeetu25
Newly Registered

Post by jeetu25 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:20 pm

To Sushdmehta:
Hope you are doing good...

I am quite confused after going through various discussion topics on English language requirement. I am hoping that you will be able to help me on my query mentioned below:

My hubby is a British national and I have recently applied for Spouse Visa (settlement). For English Language requirement, I have submitted my Bachelor's degree (Original) with visa application documents. I have checked on PBS and the degree is recognised as it gives 10 points. Since, the degree is from Panjab University, Chandigarh and I am based out in Mumbai, I could not take the University letter confirming that degree was taught in English...

Kindly advise if only submission of Original copy of the degree with all the details like title, institution of award, my name, year of award mentioned etc will be enough.

Mr British
Newly Registered

Post by Mr British » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi Jeetu

It is mandatory to have a letter from the university stating that ur degree was taught in English or else, they will refuse the application even though ur score 10 Points for PBS....

I do have experience with english language requirements for spouse visa..