ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General - Eligible to stay 1 mth after expiry date???

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mstigerlily
Newly Registered

Tier 2 General - Eligible to stay 1 mth after expiry date???

Post by mstigerlily » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:51 pm

I was granted a sponsorship visa while I was outside of the UK and I've been in London for the last few months. My Tier 2 General visa expires mid November and I was wondering if I must leave the UK by this expiry date or am I eligible to stay in the country for 1 month after this date.

The website states "If you successfully applied from outside the UK, you can come here under Tier 2 (General) for a maximum of 3 years plus 1 month, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter. This period must begin no more than 14 days before the start date on your certificate of sponsorship."

I do not want to overstay my visa and cause problems for myself to enter the UK in the future. Please could you advise when I must leave the country.

Thank you very much!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:44 pm

The expiry date you have been granted will already have taken into account the one extra month, so the expiry date you have is the expiry date you must obey. However, although not recommended unless absolutely necessary, anyone who overstays their leave by less than 28 days is not given a mandatory ban.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 pm

if you stay after expiry date, written on your visa, for less than 28 days, then your future app will not attract automatic 1 year ban. however, this transgression may come to haunt you if you apply for ILR or indefinite-leave-to-remain anytime in future

mstigerlily
Newly Registered

Post by mstigerlily » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:01 am

Thank you for this information. Very useful. I will definitely leave the country before the expiry date.

Lastly, when can I re-enter the UK as a tourist from Australia? I have no intentions on staying in the UK more than a month and can prove that I will be returning to Australia after my trip.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:29 pm

You can re-enter at any time but you may be asked the reason and purpose for this visit so soon after a period of residence. If it's not clear that you are visiting and merely wish to continue living in the UK (but with the immigration status of a visitor) then there is a small but credible risk of refusal.

kinn
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 2 General - Eligible to stay 1 mth after expiry dat

Post by kinn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:11 am

Hi,

Date of issue : 27th June 2011
Date of Entry to UK : 26th Jul 2011
Date of Expiry of Current Visa : 27th June 2011

1. When I apply for an extension, will I be getting an extension for 2 years or 3 years ? What decides the period of extension ?

2. If I apply 2 months early and if I receive a 2year visa, does this mean that newly extended visa will have an expiry date that is two months earlier than my five year completion to qualify for ILR ?

3. What are the options available to an Tier 2 General applicant who's visa expiries a month in advance than the 5 year period (assuming that there is no break in residency during the 5 years) as result of entering UK 1 month latter than the Visa issue date.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Tier 2 General - Eligible to stay 1 mth after expiry dat

Post by manci » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:22 am

kinn please continue in your duplicate post