ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 year work permit - success (Croydon)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Happylittlevegemite
Newly Registered

5 year work permit - success (Croydon)

Post by Happylittlevegemite » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:42 pm

All in all this was a pretty straight forward experience. My application was pretty easy as I'd been with the same company and not changed jobs.

I had booked my apt for 08:00 and arrived at about 07:35.

First step after security is the initial check of docs and there were already about 10 people in the queue. The lady was friendly enough and told me to calm down as I was a bit nervous. Queue for checking about 20 mins and then docs checked another 20.

I saw all along people fumbling with docs - getting them sorted first makes everyone's lives so much easier. Putting the docs separately in clear folders looks awkward esp if your hands are shaking! I had just put mine in a paper folder, and clipped each document together and put the photocopy behind it, together with a sticky note. This made things really easy to see and a few of the people commented on that.

Next step payment. Get your cards out people. Again, people fumbling trying to find cards etc when they'd been standing in the queue. This step took about 15 mins. Also a few people had stapled their payment forms to application.

Then the moment of truth. I had to wait for about 40 mins for my number to be called. the lady went through all my forms and then asked me to wait as she went through them. What struck me is that quite a few windows hadn't opened yet so although they start taking apts from 08:00, more will be processed from 09:00.

People don't listen out for their numbers so a few times there were delays because of that though the numbers were showing on the boards.

After another 40 mins for so, I was called back to counter and told my application was successful. Although I knew the code for my job, I didn't know the category it was under and this took her a while to find. So note to people - know the category your job is under as well. This took about 10 mins or so for her to find.

I then waited another 45 mins or so for the stamp in the permit and then I was free.

To anyone driving from the London side, as you come down Wellesley Road there's a open air carpark just before the x storeyed one. It was a bit cheaper than the storeyed one but i'd not noticed in before I was almost past it.

I''m so glad to have this stamp in my passport!

Docs taken (as well as copies):
Passport photos in envelope
Old and current passport
Application
Bank statements for pay slips a/c goes into. I also took bank statements from a savings account but she didn't ask to see those. These took about 10 days to send from my bank.
Pay slips (like many I receive electronic pay slips so HR had printed them out, stamped them and signed them, and included this month's which was due to be paid just a few days so it was a tight deadline. They'd also included a cover letter on company letter head as the printouts would have printed over the copies
Letter from company with all details as per form. There is a great template on here I didn't use but would suggest people trying to find it as it does cover all bases. I hadn't used it but there wasn't a problem. Make sure your letter shows the hourly rate. Mine had but I'd not listed the category.
Life in the UK test

Re booking the test initially, times weren't showing online so I made apt by phone. First lady told me I had to have passed the Life in the UK test before I booked a time which wasn't true!

piridi.ark

what is category

Post by piridi.ark » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:31 pm

what is category, where it shows,
i found only soc codes, job description, can you please paste the link

cheers