ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

minimum age for marriage

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

leony

minimum age for marriage

Post by leony » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi,

As you know the supreme court has abolished this 21 year old minimum age rule

So this means I can get married now and apply for a dependent visa for my fiancee who is 19 years old or do we have to wait until some time when HO changes its immigration rules?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: minimum age for marriage

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:31 pm

leony wrote: or do we have to wait until some time when HO changes its immigration rules?
To apply for settlement, yes. The age requirement for marriage is not connected with the age requirement for settlement so there is currently nothing to prevent a marriage.

leony

Post by leony » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:37 pm

hi
i have limited leave to remain (tier 1) so can we get married with my fiancee and can i get dependent visa for her?
She is 19 years old
She has student visa currently
What do you suggest?

sakman

Post by sakman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:37 pm

I am confused? when will the HO changes its immigration rules?

aaaaaa123

Post by aaaaaa123 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi
u n ur fiance can get married while ur fiance is 19 but usually rules that r changed go through the parliament n this hasnt been done yet. u should get advise from sum1 with immigration advise

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:22 pm

leony, if you are a Points-Based System migrant then the age requirement for your dependant spouse is only 18 anyway.

Read the relevant parts of the UKBA website and Policy Guidance:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... /partners/

leony

Post by leony » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi,

I know, I had seen the policy guidance before (edit: I am talking about version 12/10), but the immigration rules clearly states (still) the minimum age as 21, also I was told that despite the policy guidance, someone with Tier 1 applied for his dependant and got refusal. So I hesitated.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... _partners/
277. Nothing in these Rules shall be construed as permitting a person to be granted entry clearance, leave to enter, leave to remain or variation of leave as a spouse or civil partner of another if either the applicant or the sponsor will be aged under 21 (or aged under 18 if either party is a serving member of HM Forces) on the date of arrival in the United Kingdom or (as the case may be) on the date on which the leave to remain or variation of leave would be granted.
Last edited by leony on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leony

Post by leony » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:20 pm

The policy guidance is different version now, where is the age requirements on this policy guidance?

I could not find anything related to age.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... olicy1.pdf

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Read paragraph 37