ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Spain

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rob911

Schengen Spain

Post by rob911 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:41 am

Hi guys, I got a schengen visa from the french embassy london and wanted to travel to spain as well. I have already been to france for the specified holiday and my schengen is still valid for another month or so. Could anyone share experiences in using a schengen for a second country and even better give some advice on the Spain Immigration Officers or general immigration for those travelling to a second schengen country. are the specific requirements that need to be achieved before you are allowed entry? my trip to spain is for a short break and I have valid leave to remain to return to england. thanks!

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:02 am

As far as I know, if the visa itself is still valid in terms of time, does not say that it is for a single entry only, and does not specify that it is valid only for France, then there should be no problem - you just travel to Spain in the usual way, with no further requirements necessary. Do you have a stamp (or stamps) in your passport indicating your visit to France?

raina

Post by raina » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:04 am

Its no problem going to another country.As long as its a multiple entry visa.
Spanish immigration or for that matter any of the Shengen countries dont even ask any questions once you have a valid visa.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:08 am

hi there,
similar issue. My husband will be applying for a Schengen Visa for DE to travel there for a weekend with me in December.

We plan to do another weekend or 2 in the new year in other EU states (dont know where yet). Should we tick the "multiple entry" box when applying for the Schengen Visa from DE? If we do does that mean we can use the same Schengen visa over the 6 month period for multiple EU States?

Thanks!

raina

Post by raina » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:56 am

Scrudu-- Yes the visa if it is multiple can be used for multiple countries.

Only one thing is that go armed with each and every document they ask for.
As a 6 month multiple visa is often not easy to get depending of course on a persons age and nationality,

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:27 pm

Thanks for the info Raina,

perhaps it is better that he simply applies for a single entry Schengen visa for his first european trip, and then apply for further visas in the new year when we wish to travel again.

I note that on the application form a lot of the questions are asterixed and therefore do not have to be answered by the spouse of an EU Citizen. But The DE Embassy had a full list of documents that need to be provided for issue of a Schengen visa. http://www.germany.ie/pdf/C_VISA.pdf This list is pretty extensive, and includes proof of insurance, proof of address, funds, occupation etc.

I just called and asked what is required since we are travelling together and was told that we require the following:
1. his passport
2. my passport
3. marriage cert
4. application form
5. letter of invitation notarised by Notary or City Administration
-or-
proof of hotel booking
6. proof of address
7. garda registration card

but proof of finances, insurance etc are not required. Also on picking up his visa, he must show confirmed proof of flight and accommodation (including confirmation of payment).

Wow, no mean feat to get a simple tourist visa is it !!!!

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:42 pm

Well, I expect that he could apply for a multiple-entry one: being denied a multiple-entry visa and being given a single-entry one insteard wouldn't (as far as I know) prejudice any further applications, should they be necessary.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:08 pm

Thanks Christophe, We'll give it a try. Will post back when we see the outcome!

Does anyone know how far in advance you can apply for your Schengen? Is it only valid for a particular set of "Valid from" "Valid to" dates, or is it issued for your initial dates of travel?

rob911

Post by rob911 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks for your replies, yes I have a multiple entry schengen visa issued by the french embassy london. It is my second one from them and both times I have travelled to france (first visa Paris and the second visa Calais). I didn't use my first one to travel anywhere else within the schengen space so I definately want to travel around on this one as it doesn't specify that I can only go to france and it is still valid. I have stamps in my passport for both times that I went to France. Is there any limitation or obligation in terms of time limit spent in France over the duration of the visa (for example should it equal time spent in other states). Just want to make sure I remain within requirements so I don't have any awkward questions next time I decide to apply from a schengen from the french.

So as far as everyone knows here, schengen states just look at the visa and not neccessarily question you on your movements reason for holiday accomodation etc? any info would be useful because I'm planning my trip for next weekend.

Thanks!

raina

Post by raina » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:40 pm

rob- I think the immigration officers feel that when a person has jumped through all the needed hoops to get a visa they have obviously fulfilled all the criteria.
So they just stamp the visa after a cursory look.

It was important for you to have gone to France once on the visa as whenever you will apply again for a French visa that is what matters to them.

So unworry and just enjoy your trip as your visa definately allows you that privilege!!

rob911

Post by rob911 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks raina, thats quite reassuring. I also thought it important to always first use the visa for the original intended purpose before travel elsewhere to avoid future hassles. will send a post when I get back to say how it went, not that I anticipate any problems :D

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:50 pm

Being a veteran of several French schengen visas I can assure you that the French (and probably most of the other Schengen countries) will look very very carefully at how you used your previous French visa when applying for another. The one thing must absolutely ALWAYS do is complete the journey for which you originally got the visa. Under no circumstances should you attempt to travel to another Schengen country before you go to the country for which you got the Schengen visa (unless you need to travel through another Schengen country to get to your main destination and have noted this in your Schengen application).

The French and Spanish in particular are usually quite generous when it comes to Schengen visas and will normally issue multiple entry visas for anything from 3 months to 1 year depending on how many visas you have had before. Because of this generosity they are very wary of people who "visa shop", to use their terminology. I.e. some people obtain a French or Spanish visa based on a booked trip and then, once they have obtained the visa, cancel the original trip and use the visa to go to another Schengen country. If you do this you seriously risk being blacklisted. I know this because it has happened to people I know.

Having said this, you are fully within your rights to use your multiple-entry visa to go whereever you want within the Schengen area as long as you make sure you use the visa for purpose for which it was obtained initially.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

rob911

Post by rob911 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:19 am

I see your point Dawie, hence why I'm being cautious of how I use the visa. To your knowledge would it be a problem if the holiday booked with the french was for 2 days- then I went to france for that holiday. So a month after I have fulfilled the original trip for which the visa was issued, I then plan to travel to another schengen state for a week and shall probably do another france trip in november. Your thoughts?

rob911

Post by rob911 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:04 am

Hey guys, thanks for your posts regarding the spain immigration etc. I went to spain for a week last week and didn't encounter any problems at all. The immigration guys were qute pleasant and do things quite quickly. Just a little feedback for those travelling in the future