ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Citizenship

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

qudah

Applying for Citizenship

Post by qudah » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi,

I am british citizen who returned to live here June 2010.
my wife entered the country in the 24th August 2010 on family visa, and she was granted a limited leave to remain under discretionary conditions from 28th March 2011 until 2th March 2014 ( 3 years).

When she is eligible to apply for citizenship, if she is eligible?

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Before she can apply for citizenship, she needs to apply for settlement ... which, under current laws, she may be eligible for only after completing six years under discretionary leave.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

qudah

Post by qudah » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Dont HO consider limited leave to remain as part of ILR?

I thought things might work earlier than 6 years?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:38 pm

qudah wrote:Dont HO consider limited leave to remain as part of ILR?
ILR has only part - ILR (indefinite leave to remain), which is granted on the basis of the applicant meeting certain requirements one of which is "qualifying residential period" - and under discretionary leave this qualifying residential period is 6 years.
qudah wrote:I thought things might work earlier than 6 years?
Not under discretionary leave. But to make the route less lengthy, you may consider having your wife apply for entry clearance as spouse of British citizen from outside UK.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:01 am

You may not gain anything by applying for a spouse visa outside of the UK if the Government's proposed regulations extend the 2 year Limited Leave visa for a spouse to 5 years.
At least you know that your wife is able to remain here legally and continue with your family life.