ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Reference letter,IT job description, provide feedback please

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vbellino

Reference letter,IT job description, provide feedback please

Post by vbellino » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:08 am

Hello All,

I was confident that my reference letter content was fine, but now after reading about so many rejections due to graduated level job not verified, I would like to ask you for feedback on my letter.

The concerning parts are the job position, graduated job explicit and job description. The other information, salary, company letterhead papel, period, etc, I believe are fine. Besides, I started on this company after I graduated as BS in Computer Science, which is equivalent to a UK BS degree. Moreover, I'll also provide corporate contract (I worked through my own company opened for employment purposes) and tax income return to support the work experience letter.

I wrote the following:

"...
His job as a System Analyst and Programmer, which is a graduated level job, carried mainly the following duties and responsibilities:

• Investigating and analyzing in detail business problems and requirements related to the implementation of computer systems, known as Decision Support systems or Business Intelligence (BI) systems, in our clients, which are usually major companies such as banks, insurance companies and retailers;

• Specifying the design of the Business Intelligence system that meets the business requirements and solve the problems;

• Specifying the design (modeling) as well as programming the Business Intelligence system databases that provide data to third-party Business Intelligence software resold by our company;

• Specifying the design as well as programming data extraction from existing databases, data transformation and resulting data loading into the Business Intelligence system databases;

• Specifying the design as well as programming additional software features, not covered by the third-party Business Intelligence software resold, in order to deliver a complete Business Intelligence system that fully meets all business requirements;

• Planning and working on a completion deadline of the Business Intelligence system implementation in our clients.
"

My concerns now are:

1) Is it a problem to use "System Analyst and Programmer" as they match with two diferent postions in the guidance, although I'm detailing the responsabilidades according to both positions? Shall I use "System Analyst and Sytem Programmer" as there is also only "Programmer" in the guidance, which might confuse the caseworker?

2) Are the responsabilities so much detailed, long and exaustive? I tried to explain as better as I can for a layperson in IT, matching it with the guidance. Besides, the software resold is explicitly written as in the corporate contract is detailed that the company resells some softwares, so I though it was better to write it like that, which in fact was exactly the way I used to work.

3) Is it fine to mention only "which is a graduated level job" or shall I give more details, such as: "A BS degree in Computer Sciences is required to fullfill his duties and responsabilites"?

Thanks a lot for the pacience in reading that! I really appreciate any feedback as I am quite unconfident and going crazy with all those details in the letter :-(

Best regards,

Vinicius

replyami

Post by replyami » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:35 pm

In my openion

1. "System Analyst and Programmer" should be fine.

2. It would be better if you make avoid repeating, such as "Specifying the design"

3. You can write as "His job as a System Analyst and Programmer in our organisation requires a University degree in Computer Science (CS) or related discipline"

good luck

-AMI

sssm

...need clarification on few things.

Post by sssm » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:29 pm

I am writing from India.. few queries

1. In one of the PSU companies where i worked for 3 years 7 months as systems engineer in EDP ( meaning: software mainetance and development department)..job which requires it to be an Engineering graduate, the reference letter looks like this

Certified that Mr. XXXX , staff number xxxxx served this organization as systems engineer from 1-apr-1997 to 30-nov-2000.

During his service Mr.XXXX worked in Material Management Systems group of Management Services Department. He was responsible for Maintenance of Material procurement related applications like Purchase enquiry,Purchase Order etc. He has guided a group of junior programmers team in migration of main frames systems to Oracle based based systems?

Des this look good enough? It doesnot tell anywhere that this job requires a graduation in Engineering. Do I need to add a photocopy of job advt. ( i don't have original news paper cutting) for which I applied in 1996 and got selected in it to prove that job requires guys to be engg graduates? or the above description itself is sufficient?

2. Name on the reference letter doesnot have my surname expanded.. for ex: say my name is Dotha Ram Kumar( as in Passport.. this letter has it showing as D. Ram Kumar. Is it fine? Also other variants like Dotha Ram ( lastname and firstname) have been used in other company reference letters..is it fine?

3. Which courier in India is safe to send Original certificates, application by ? DHL or Fedex.

4. My post graduation certificate shows Dotta Ram Kumar(say) wrongly written by hand by the person instead of Dotha. Now its too late to get it corrected( i passed out in 1996). So can I attach my provisional certificate too which has my student roll number mentioned..which can link these both certificates as proof.

5. Can someone please post a reasonably good cover letter or format f cover letter?

6. Can we download application and print it on a normal printer and use it or do we need a color printed form and fill the details?

7. Finally, I had a workpermit which expired in Jan 2003. Can I use it as additional supporting document and put it in miscellaneous section?

-Thanks a lot..