ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Feedback on Reading, Berkshire

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vkasturi
Newly Registered

Feedback on Reading, Berkshire

Post by vkasturi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 am

I am moving to the UK on Tier 2, Intra Company Transfer in December. My wife and our 2 yr old daughter will travel with me. My office is in Paddington. My wife will be looking out for a job on her dependent visa.

While exploring places to live, we are looking at the following

1) A good nursery, day care for our little one
2) Decent commute time to work (45 mins to an hour) for both of us

We lived for a year in Stratford in 2008. During that time, my wife got a few good job offers from companies based out of Slough. Since Slough is not a good place to live (based on Internet search and info from people who work there), we are looking at Reading, Berkshire.

How is Reading, Berkshire to live ? How are the nurseries, pre schools and day cares there ? The rentals in the are around the Rail station fall under our budget of 800 to 900 pcm (based on Rightmove, findaproperty). We are more concerned about the nurseries and pre schools in the area.

Or does the forum suggest any other area ?

Any help will be appreciated.

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 am

Reading has Asian all around. You will see too many Tier2 ICT folks Wipro, TCS, Tech Mahinda Satyam, Birla Technologies and many more.

Like most of the places in Uk, good nurseries has always a long queue (wait list).

Reading is well connnected to London (Paddington), frequency of train is also very good.

PM if you have any specific question.

NLNZUK
Newly Registered

Post by NLNZUK » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Personally I wouldn't like to live in Reading but around Slough there are much better alternatives. Ascot, Virginia Water or Windsor may be a bit posh / expensive but are excellent areas within commuting time from Slough. Other suitable places could be Wokingham or Bracknell.