ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Definition of 'Partner' under EEA Regulations 8(5)?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kk2012
BANNED

Definition of 'Partner' under EEA Regulations 8(5)?

Post by kk2012 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:31 am

Urgent advise needed.......!

We received a refusal letter for a visa application for family member of an EEA national.

The refusal letter says: "we will not normally accept that there is a durable relationship where these criteria are not met, though each case is considered on its merits. There will be occasions where the criteria are not met but we accept that regulation 8(5) has been met."

The fact that they say that they sometimes accept a partnership as durable even without meeting the usual criteria, i.e. 2 years cohabitation, in what way could we argue that our relationship is durable?
Last edited by kk2012 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Definition of 'Partner' under EEA Regulations 8(5)?

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:40 am

kk2012 wrote:we have only been living together for 1 year
By your own admission you are not in a durable relationship that has currently lasted two years. The criteria for durable relationship in EU applications closely follow (but are not exactly) those for UK applications and can come down to an arbitrary decision by the ECO.

...the ECO needs to go on to consider whether, in all the circumstances, it appears to the entry clearance officer appropriate to issue the family permit'
EUN2.11 How do unmarried partners qualify for an EEA family permit?

You have a lawyer so listen to his advice. The basis of the appeal would have to be that your particular islamic marriage was legal and duly registered in the country where it was contracted. This applies to any and all types of marriage and so there is nothing discriminatory about that policy.

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks for that document. Is that all, what they mean by merits: children, joint finances, and 2 years cohabitation? Or is there anything else they may consider?

If we go the bank and open an account together, would that still help?

I really did not know whether to appeal or not, I was very worried about him and unfortunately only saw the refusal letter 2 days ago, which says at the end that you may alternatively wish to submit a further application, if you consider that you have a right to reside in UK as a matter of EU law. If I would have seen it, I would have been calmer about him, and would not have appealed. But the lawyer said to do that, and we have to go through it now.

What is the worst case that could happen if the appeal fails, could they deport him instantly or soon after, without giving him any chance to a civil marriage in UK?

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:17 am

:D
Last edited by kk2012 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Definition of 'Partner' under EEA Regulations 8(5)?

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:18 am

kk2012 wrote: we have only been living together for 1 year
This is relevant and insufficient in length, and opening a joint bank account won't address of fix this.

An islamic marriage in the UK is not recognised as a marriage in UK law unless it is supervised by the registrar. There are very few mosques that offer this service so I must assume that yours wasn't (hence the refusal).

toni34
- thin ice -
Mood:
Nigeria

durable relationship

Post by toni34 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:14 am

you r missing the point,whether your islamic marriage is valid or not is not the issue,the issue here that you did not address with your documentation is whether there is durable relation,and you cant prove this by just getting a joint statement,it is an all embracing thing here in the sense that the homeoffice will look at the whole picture,that is they will look at all the factors needed to be present in a marriage and try to apply it to your case,the factors that they will take into consideration is as follows,children together, length of relationship,property in joint names,insurance beneficiary,pictures of important events and milestones.things that normal couples do.emails,letters,holiday tickets.
NON EU national with RC

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:34 pm

kk2012 wrote:You said:
"The basis of the appeal would have to be that your particular islamic marriage was legal and duly registered in the country where it was contracted."

It was an islamic marriage in the UK.
An Islamic marriage may be considered as evidence that a relationship is Durable, even if it was not recognised in the country in which it was contracted.

I hope the lawyer has explained the prons and cons of application of this type?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:25 pm

The suggestion to take the islamic marriage as evidence for durability seems a good point,. I'd greatly appreciate any further suggestions for evidence or argument.
Last edited by kk2012 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:15 pm

kk2012 wrote:The suggestion to take the islamic marriage as evidence for durability seems a good point
I don't entirely agree but I'm not dismissing this. By durability, the guidance is clearly asking for evidence of an interpersonal relationship akin to marriage where the couple have co-habited for a period of not less than two years; it's not asking for a type of marriage that is not recognised and where the couple have spent less than two years together. They may not be prepared to negotiate the requirements.

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:26 pm

We want to do that, but the home office already has his passport since April, since the time of the application.

Therefore, this is not something that we can do before the appeal at court.

We have an appointment to give notice a few days after the appeal is scheduled, which was the earliest possible date in our council, but is it too late now...?

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:42 pm

i cannot find information on this:
today I sent the documentation for the hearing to the hearing centre, was that right, or should it have been sent to the first-tier tribunal in leicester?
the instructions on the notice of hearing were not clearly straightforward, they say to 'above' address, while both addresses are above.
Last edited by kk2012 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 am

I thought you had a lawyer helping you with the appeal. Yes it has to be sent to Leicester. Hope all your grounds were properly stated.

Make sure you seek plenty of advice and undertake plenty of research if you are doing it yourself, as application from Extended family members are a bit complex at times, especially in cases where their so called 2-years requirements are not met.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:35 am

i just called the Tribunal, it was right to send it to the hearing centre.

can you refer me to good internet or other sources of information to prepare for the hearing?
Last edited by kk2012 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Could this argument help?

The UK interprets “durable relationshipâ€

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Was your Islamic marriage done in the UK?

Can you go to your local registry office and get it formally registered as a marriage?

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:10 pm

thanks. unfortunately, it does not seem to go this way round, rather one has to have a civil wedding first, and then also can have that kind of religious wedding.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:19 pm

But if you have not yet had a wedding that is recognised under UK law, then can you not simply have a civil marriage ceremony?

It's not a case of "registering" your existing marriage, but having a ceremony that is recognised as legal in the country where it takes place.

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello,

Believe it or not, we eventually got there! Appeal was won, and big thanks to Obie for suggesting to use the Islamic marriage certificate as evidence of durability of the relationship! Our scary Immigration Advisor was convinced by that and changed the grounds of appeal away from trying a doomed-to-fail argument that this kind of marriage should be accepted like a civil partnership, as comparable to a common law marriage, as having a place in the British tradition, I dont recall exactly, but totally bonkers anyways.

Determination with direction to issue RC was sent a bit more than one month after the appeal, and this month we finally also received the RC.

Luckily, the sceptics in this forum (sometimes harsher than the tribunal judges) are not always right, and 2 years cohabition is not always what a decision hinges upon. After all, the 2-years rule is British and not EU law, which had to be applied in our case.

The evidence that we provided for our 5 year relationship convinced the judge, and in putting that together I followed the superb advice of the UK Lesbian & Gay Immigration Group ;) http://www.uklgig.org.uk/evidence.htm. We won the case and our situation is finally also sorted by paper :D

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Very good news! It must have been a lot of work to get there.

kk2012
BANNED

Post by kk2012 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi, thanks :) YES, indeed, it was weeks and weeks of non-stop reading and copying of papers for the bundles, no free weekends.