ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Italian Citizenship for non eu foreigners!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

permit007
Newly Registered

Italian Citizenship for non eu foreigners!

Post by permit007 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:43 am

Dear Reader,
I am an Indian. I am staying in Italy for 4 years 6 months [ first 4 years I done PhD with student visa status. From last 6 months I have a work permit as tempo indeterminato. I have permit to stay but I never took a resident permit. Does I am eligible for Italian citizenship after 6 months from now[which completes my 5 years of stay in Italy legally!, 4 years with student visa + 1 year as work visa]

Thanking you,
Praveen

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:23 am

I don't know where you got this idea of five years. The UK, perhaps? Unless you're a descendant of a current or previous Italian citizen, you have another five years to go (for a total of ten years of legal residence) before you can apply for Italian citizenship. There are some other exceptions, which I'm guessing you may not qualify for, but who knows. You can read the following material yourself.

From this website: http://www.esteri.it/eng/5_30_208_318.asp?

Quali requisiti sono richiesti?

dieci anni di residenza legale;
reddito sufficiente;
assenza di precedenti penali;
rinuncia alla cittadinanza d’origine (ove prevista).

In quali casi si può ottenere la cittadinanza anche senza la residenza decennale in Italia?

Il numero di anni può essere abbreviato a:

tre anni di residenza legale per i discendenti di ex cittadini italiani per nascita fino al secondo grado e per gli stranieri nati sul territorio italiano;
quattro anni di residenza legale per i cittadini di uno Stato appartenente alle Comunità Europee;
cinque anni di residenza legale per gli apolidi e i rifugiati, così come per gli stranieri maggiorenni adottati da cittadini italiani; sette anni di residenza legale per l’affiliato da cittadino italiano;
non è richiesto alcun periodo di residenza per gli stranieri che hanno prestato servizio allo Stato per un periodo di almeno cinque anni, anche all’estero.

Sorry, but good luck in your work.

permit007
Newly Registered

Post by permit007 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi Mr. Robin,

Thank-u for ur reply
The link u sent me is outdated....!!!

I find this 5 yrs citizenship info from the workpermit.com website only...

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_07_ ... enship.htm

here they state if we can prove that we are residing in italy from 5 years then we are elgible for citizenship....[ they quoted it for illegall immigrants ...naturally it should represent also legal immigrants who are working and paying the taxes...!!!

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:42 pm

Well, I don't know what to tell you. You seem to know more about it than the Italian government website itself. Just judging from the tenor of the workpermit.com statement, it sounds like this is a proposal by the current government, but may not have yet been enacted into law. So again, I don't know what to say. Follow this up with the proper government sources and you'll know for sure.

skm2005
Newly Registered

Italy info needed

Post by skm2005 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:41 pm

Dear Praveen

I wish to get some info on italy, can u kindly get me ur email id??? I am from Kerla, India,,,

My email is km.shahnawaaz@gmail.com

regards
shan

gulgon

Post by gulgon » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:50 pm

Here is the Italian Citizenship law.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Italy info needed

Post by Administrator » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:14 am

skm2005 wrote:Dear Praveen

I wish to get some info on italy, can u kindly get me ur email id??? I am from Kerla, India,,,

My email is km.shahnawaaz@gmail.com

regards
shan
For your own protection, we do not recommend posting your email publically. You may if you wish.

The "PM" function of our forum allows you to send a private message to another member. You could also ask other people to send a PM to you to establish non-public communication.

The Admin

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:23 am

permit007 wrote:Hi Mr. Robin,

Thank-u for ur reply
The link u sent me is outdated....!!!

I find this 5 yrs citizenship info from the workpermit.com website only...

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_07_ ... enship.htm

here they state if we can prove that we are residing in italy from 5 years then we are elgible for citizenship....[ they quoted it for illegall immigrants ...naturally it should represent also legal immigrants who are working and paying the taxes...!!!
I am very happy to see someone is reading our news service!!

This article is one I composed and posted. It was taken from two or three other articles I located on news services and includes all available information at the time.

My understanding is that Prime Minister Romano Prodi announced (through Interior Minister Giuliano Amato) the intention of Italy to change its immigration law. It has not been done yet.

His announcement was specifically directed at illegal immigrants who could prove they were in the country for more than five years and who could qualify for a residence permit.

It was unclear from the announcement if they must obtain a permit and then live for five more years in Italy legally, or if they can use their illegal residence time toward obtaining citizenship.

It seems logical that anyone with five years of legal residency would qualify to apply for citizenship ... No information about student residence/visas was discussed.

HOWEVER ....

No change in the law has taken place yet.

The Admin