ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa - Advice and some questions about my case

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:03 am

Family members of EEA citizens are given "entry visas". It is to assist in them entering the country. As soon as they have entered, they are legally resident for as long as the EEA citizen is legally resident.

In the first 3 months, the EU citizen does not need to do anything particular. After that they need to be exercising "treaty rights", such as by working.

Once the EEA citizen is exercising treaty rights, the family member can apply for a "Residence Card". That is usually valid for 5 years, unless the length of residence is planned to be definitely shorter.

Alex R
Newly Registered

thanks

Post by Alex R » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:20 am

I was definitely confused, thank you for your explanations.

My wife will work in the UK straight away as she works from home and will keep her current job. Does that mean that she could apply for the residence card in a month after her arrival or less?

Is the residence card hard to get? We both will be working

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:22 am

All that matters is what the EU citizen does. If she is working then you will get the RC. Easy application if the EU is working!