ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiance visa to marriage visa process

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

conelize
Newly Registered

Fiance visa to marriage visa process

Post by conelize » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:07 pm

My partner is currently in the UK on a fiance visa and we have booked our wedding for December 5th. We would like to transfer the fiance visa over to a marriage visa so she is able to work as soon as we can.

What is the process for doing this? I know we have to book an appointment with the UKBA but how long does it usually take, how much does it cost and what documents will we need to take with us? We still have all our supporting documents from our fiance visa application, am I correct in assuming that we bring along the same information (albiet updated)?

Thank you

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:16 pm

conelize wrote:My partner is currently in the UK on a 6 month fiance visa, we are getting married on December 5th and will transfer over to a 2 year marriage visa.

However my partner wants to sign up for an online open university course to finish her degree. The deadline for application is November 11th and the course will start February 2012. We are concerned though about what rights her fiance visa allows her and if she applies for this course now before she gets her 2 year visa it might cause problems. However by the time my partner begins the course she will have a 2 year visa.

I'd be grateful for any advice/guidance. Thanks.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:20 pm

Extension of leave after marriage
1. FLR(M)
2. It is your choice whether you wish to apply by post or in-person.

Studying
If the course is truly "online", i.e.- the applicant doesn't need to be in the UK to attend classes / exams, then where the student is, physically, doesn't matter. Else, if the FLR(M) is refused for any reason and she has to leave UK to apply for entry clearance from abraod then there may be issues in pursuing the course (but hopefully only temporarily).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!