ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel post naturalisation, pre-passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ytrepus
Newly Registered

Travel post naturalisation, pre-passport

Post by ytrepus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:37 am

Hello,

I have just been naturalised as a UK citizen and hold dual US / UK nationality. My passport application is underway, and if others' timelines are anything to go by, I should be getting my original documents (i.e., US passport) back any day now.

A situation with work has arisen, and I need to travel to Switzerland urgently in a few days' time. How problematic will it be to travel on my US passport, rather than using a UK passport to enter the UK?

Thanks for your help, and apologies in advance if this has already been asked.

Regards,
Rob

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:45 am

Unlike the US, the UK doesn't require UK citizens to enter the UK using a UK passport. You should be OK entering the UK with a US passport + ILR (although technically the ILR is not valid anymore). Don't start to explain to the Immigration Officer your story as it would just complicate things. Just enter as you used to before becoming a BC.