ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Greencard Holders- re-enntry permit

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Andrea Butterfly
Newly Registered

Greencard Holders- re-enntry permit

Post by Andrea Butterfly » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:39 am

Hi

This is a query for my in-laws actually. We are Indian nationals. My mother-in-law and father-in-law have got their US greencards this July 2006 (sponsored by an uncle). They had also applied for the 2 year re-entry permit which has been granted to them. But we are not too clear about the re-entry rules and wanted some clarifications. Would be great if somebody could help...

1) Are these 2 years included in the 5 years that greencard holders have to wait before applying for citizenship?

2) How many times, and for what duration can my in-laws visit US and stay in India (out of USA)?

3) How do they become eligible for citizenship?

4) What are the circumstances under which they could lose their permanent residence status?

Andrea

JAJ
Australia

Re: Greencard Holders- re-enntry permit

Post by JAJ » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:00 am

Andrea Butterfly wrote:Hi

This is a query for my in-laws actually. We are Indian nationals. My mother-in-law and father-in-law have got their US greencards this July 2006 (sponsored by an uncle). They had also applied for the 2 year re-entry permit which has been granted to them. But we are not too clear about the re-entry rules and wanted some clarifications. Would be great if somebody could help...

1) Are these 2 years included in the 5 years that greencard holders have to wait before applying for citizenship?

2) How many times, and for what duration can my in-laws visit US and stay in India (out of USA)?

3) How do they become eligible for citizenship?

4) What are the circumstances under which they could lose their permanent residence status?

Andrea

1, 3 : See http://www.cis.gov

2. They are expected to live in the U.S. (note the term : Lawful PERMANENT RESIDENT).

4. If they are not living in the U.S. their status is subject to loss. Even with a re-entry permit. Get an immigration attorney to talk further about this.

Why did they get green cards if they just wanted to visit the U.S.? Wouldn't B2 tourist visas be enough?

Andrea Butterfly
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by Andrea Butterfly » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:21 am

Thanks for the info.

My in-laws applied for the greencards coz they definitely want to move to the US and later even apply for citizenship. They only want to stay in India for the first 2 years so that they can wrap up things here, sell house and settle everything before moving permanently.

This is why they applied for the 2 year re-entry. After 2 years when they re-enter the US they intend to stay on.

So is there still a chance of them losing their greencard? Will these 2 years out of USA negatively impact their citizenship application later?