ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorced from an EU citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

James1978
Newly Registered

Divorced from an EU citizen

Post by James1978 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I was married to an european citizen since 2007 and unfortunately the marriage broke down and we filed for a divorce in january 2011 and i got the Decree Absolute in may.
i m on an EEA family member visa which expiring in november 2012 , and i would like to know do i need to inform the immigration office regarding my status? i went on holiday in august 2011 and the way back i was stopped by the immigration office and they hold my passport for 5days ,asking a lot of question from me & my ex, but few days later i could collect the passport without any problem.
i m a non-european citizen,living in UK.
i entered the country in may 2007 so i also would like to know if i can apply for the PR after completing 5 years next year( may 2012) ,
thanks

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:31 pm

it depends o lots of factors. i.e: are you working, was your ex working, is she going to cooperate,.....etc
please provide more info so we can help

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 am

do see 3 yr rule

James1978
Newly Registered

Post by James1978 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:31 pm

We were living together for 3 years and i have the documents to prove that, for example: bank statements, house agreement & payslips coming to the same address. Are those documents enough to proof that we were living together?
i m working full time since 2007 and so did she until our divorce. Luckly she is cooperative. So should i contact the Home office to let them know about my divorce status? and can i apply for PR after completion of 5 years.
thanks

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 pm

You can apply for retention of rights and I believe you will get as long as you have the documents you mentioned and your ex is cooperative