ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name Change/Correction in passport before ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

need_a_tier1

Name Change/Correction in passport before ILR

Post by need_a_tier1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:35 pm

I will be applying for ILR in Oct 2011 (2 yrs WP + 3 yrs Tier-1).

My spouse joined me in the UK after the first year on the WP dependent visa.

My spouse's name in the Indian passport is written as
Given Name: Joe Bloggs (just an example)
Surname: <blank>

Actually, the correct one should be
Given Name: Joe
Surname: Bloggs

Consequently, All visas (UK WP/Tier1 dependent and USA B1) in my spouses passport have used the first name field and discarded the surname/lastname field. The USA visa has used FNU as first name and 'Joe Bloggs' as lastname.

My question is:

- is it now advisable to get the name corrected in the passport and then apply for ILR?
- or apply for ILR first on the existing passport and then get the name corrected?

Can there be any complications at ILR application stage or in future (citizenship application) etc., if we get the name corrected before or after ILR.

Thanks..

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:48 pm

APPLY and get yr ilr and than make any changes other wise HO will take time approve apln
CDOKS

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:52 pm

APPLY and get yr ilr and than make any changes other wise HO will take time approve apln
CDOKS

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Sushil-ACCA wrote:APPLY and get yr ilr and than make any changes other wise HO will take time approve apln
Thanks for your advice !!

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:53 am

Myself and my family have now received ILR.

As advised above, we decided not to get my wife's surname corrected in the passport.

If we go for the surname correction now, which the Indian embassy will do in 2-4 working days by issuing a new passport with the correct surname and cancelling the existing passport (with ILR stamped):

- do we need to inform UKBA of this change
- do we need to get the ILR vignette transferred to the new passport
- If we don't do the above, is there any chance of being questioned (more than normal) or refused entry at UKBA desks at the airports.

P.S.-
A bit of background on this:

Consequently, All visas (UK WP/Tier1 dependent and USA B1) in my spouses passport have used the first name field and discarded the surname/lastname field.

nksg

Post by nksg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:05 am

Not sure if this helps but my wife used her maiden name until we applied for the BC. The request to the name change was done at NCS at the time of BC application.

Have you faced any issues at the border control in the past for the same reason?
need_a_tier1 wrote:Myself and my family have now received ILR.

As advised above, we decided not to get my wife's surname corrected in the passport.

If we go for the surname correction now, which the Indian embassy will do in 2-4 working days by issuing a new passport with the correct surname and cancelling the existing passport (with ILR stamped):

- do we need to inform UKBA of this change
- do we need to get the ILR vignette transferred to the new passport
- If we don't do the above, is there any chance of being questioned (more than normal) or refused entry at UKBA desks at the airports.

P.S.-
A bit of background on this:

Consequently, All visas (UK WP/Tier1 dependent and USA B1) in my spouses passport have used the first name field and discarded the surname/lastname field.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:17 pm

If I have understood it right, the issue here is not of a person using maiden name or adopting spouse's family name, but that of changing the name to reflect a "surname" which currently is reflected in "given name" (e.g. - first / middle name).

In such case, best that you defer the change until your wife becomes eligible for naturalisation. I believe she'll need a deed poll to reflect the name change and will need to send it along with the naturalisation application.

This way, will saves you the cost and effort of getting the name changed in her current foreign passport and, if required, also for NTL under the new name.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:45 pm

sushdmehta wrote:If I have understood it right, the issue here is not of a person using maiden name or adopting spouse's family name, but that of changing the name to reflect a "surname" which currently is reflected in "given name" (e.g. - first / middle name).
Yes, that is correct. Both FirstName and SurName are written in the 'Given names' field in the passport. The Lastname field is blank in the passport. It is worth mentioning that the previous passport (with maiden name) did not have this mistake. When she applied for a new passport after marriage, then this mistake was made by issuing authorities.
sushdmehta wrote:In such case, best that you defer the change until your wife becomes eligible for naturalisation. I believe she'll need a deed poll to reflect the name change and will need to send it along with the naturalisation application.

This way, will saves you the cost and effort of getting the name changed in her current foreign passport and, if required, also for NTL under the new name.
I showed her passport to the counter clerk (passport services) at the Indian embassy on my recent visit and he basically said that it is very straight forward to change this mistake. All we need to submit is the required fee (GBP 19) and an application to move the surname of the last name field and they will issue a new passport with the correct fields filled-in and will cancel the existing passport and return it. I had this conversation with him only a week before I applied for ILR and in retrospect I feel that this might have been a better option (to get name corrected in the new passport issued and then apply for ILR). At that time, I was not very sure, if UKBA will refuse or decline ILR because of this name change.

I applied for my ILR though a well know immigration services firm, and asked them the very same question. The response was that it does not matter if you get the name corrected before or after ILR. If it is corrected before ILR application, then ILR will be issued on the new passport. If the name is corrected after ILR application, then she can carry both old and new passports.

As we will apply for BC next year, we will follow then process you described.

However, I am mostly worried about some difficult (or ignorant) airline official creating issues during transit or boarding the flight. Basically, for all online booking surname needs to be given and she always provides her surname in online bookings (the way it should be), and if someone decides to go by the book they may very well deny boarding.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:51 pm

need_a_tier1 wrote:However, I am mostly worried about some difficult (or ignorant) airline official creating issues during transit or boarding the flight. Basically, for all online booking surname needs to be given and she always provides her surname in online bookings (the way it should be), and if someone decides to go by the book they may very well deny boarding.
Assuming the "given name" consists of two words (since you mention Joe Bloggs in your first post), use the second word as the surname when booking tickets. No problem!
Last edited by geriatrix on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm

nksg wrote:Not sure if this helps but my wife used her maiden name until we applied for the BC. The request to the name change was done at NCS at the time of BC application.

Have you faced any issues at the border control in the past for the same reason?
No, so far we have not faced any issues at border control.

BTW, I am not sure what NCS means.

Also at time of BC application, did you get a deed poll to reflect the change in name.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:01 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Assuming the "given name" consists of two words (since you mention Joe Bloggs in your first post), use the second word as the surname when booking tickets. No problem!
Yes, the "Given Name" consists of two words, and we always use the second word in the surname field, but there have been instances where the check-in clerk used a magnetic stripe reader to read her passport and could not locate the booking as the reader would not show the surname.