ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming benefits and Overseas Travel

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dixey
Newly Registered

Claiming benefits and Overseas Travel

Post by dixey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:42 am

Hi all,

I need some expert advise. Me and my wife recently got our ILR. We have already planned to go and visit our family in December 2011 and had bought our tickets already.

Now the question is Should we apply for claiming any benefits before we go or should we apply for benefit claims after coming back to UK.

My circumstances are: my wife is unemployed for 2.5 years and she would like to claim the benefits till she finds a job. But there is a clause in ILR leaflet which says as following:

If you leave uk, you will normally be re-admitted for settlement as a returning resident provided that: you did not receive assistance from public funds towards the cost of leaving this country.

My wife want to leave Uk for only 2.5 months.

Please help in the query

Thanks

Dixiy

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Disregarding the issue about returning residents...how will you wife claim unemployment benefit if she is unavailable to work for 2.5 months while she's away on holiday?

peppekalle

Post by peppekalle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:40 pm

If you will be away that long don't claim any benefit till you are back and actively seeking employment.

They will need you to sign in regularly at the jobcentre.