ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What start date should be shown on the employer letter?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SunnyG
Newly Registered

What start date should be shown on the employer letter?

Post by SunnyG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 am

My application for ILR will be very soon in early Dec. I'm planning to use the templates provided on this forum but have some questions about the start date of my job to be shown on the employer supporting letter.

I started my job as a temporary one since 11 Sep 2006 (using my student visa) and my employer agreed to renew my contract as a long term one then. My WP started from 14 Dec 2006 and I got my current visa (with WP) since 3 Jan 2007. My current contract (the long term one) started from 20 Jan 2007.

Can anyone suggest whether my employer should mention that I started my job since Sep 2006 or 20 Jan 2007?

(Many thanks for those who answer my question in advance!) :)

Gerry2011

Post by Gerry2011 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi SunnyG,

My case is exectly same as you.
I think we'll have to give date as appeared on WP Visa on Passport.
But still would like to confirm this from experts.

Kind Regards and Good Luck.
Gerry

SunnyG
Newly Registered

Post by SunnyG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi, Gerry2011,

Do you think we should give the date of the visa start date, e.g. in my case it will be 3 Jan 2007, rather than the renewed contract start date or original temporary job start date?

BTW, do you know where we can find the offical ukba documents stating that the student visa can do full-time work for up to 4 months? I can only find some related info on different uni's website and ukcisa website, but hard to find the offical one.

Many thanks!

Gerry2011

Post by Gerry2011 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi SunnyG,

We can give actual work starting date as well, but as we were on Student visa, we'll have to say that is was a Part time (20hours/week) job.
To avoide all these hectics, I was thinking to give Visa Start date.

Regards
Gerry

SunnyG
Newly Registered

Post by SunnyG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:49 pm

I think even with a student visa, as long as we've already finished the study, we can use it for full-time work for up to 4 months. That's what I found from many universities' website and from the website of uk council for international student affairs:
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_s ... fter_study

But I'd also like to find such doc from ukba's website... It's really hard to find the rules of 5 years ago :(

I do hope that someone can help us and answer the question...

Gerry2011

Post by Gerry2011 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Mine case was different, I was working part time for my company and started working full time from Jan 07 (when I received my Work visa stamped on passport).

SunnyG
Newly Registered

Post by SunnyG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:01 pm

But still similar question here, which date should be provided as the start date on the employer letter?

Or should we just provide all the details in the employer letter?

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:35 pm

SunnyG wrote:But still similar question here, which date should be provided as the start date on the employer letter?
This date should match the one on your original WP.
- Your employment in the current capacity (supported by WP) has started on 20 Jan 2007 - so this date should be indicated as your starting date.
- Your "5 years clock" has started on 3 Jan 2007 -- so you may apply for ILR on 7 Dec 2011.

(I find that putting a lot of details may be counter-productive -- let a caseworker just "act", not "think".)

SunnyG
Newly Registered

Post by SunnyG » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi, dimsav,

Many thanks!!! :D :D

One more quick question:

Should the start date of my temporary position (11 Sep 2006) also be indicated in the employer letter as well?
dimsav wrote:
SunnyG wrote:But still similar question here, which date should be provided as the start date on the employer letter?
This date should match the one on your original WP.
- Your employment in the current capacity (supported by WP) has started on 20 Jan 2007 - so this date should be indicated as your starting date.
- Your "5 years clock" has started on 3 Jan 2007 -- so you may apply for ILR on 7 Dec 2011.

(I find that putting a lot of details may be counter-productive -- let a caseworker just "act", not "think".)

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:21 pm

SunnyG wrote:Should the start date of my temporary position (11 Sep 2006) also be indicated in the employer letter as well?
Ask yourself, do you really need this date for your ILR application? The answer is NO.
As you'll be applying on the basis of 5 years Work Permit, then just indicate what is relevant - this date is not.
(The more irrelevant details you'll give, the more the possible confusion of a caseworker might be.)

SunnyG
Newly Registered

Post by SunnyG » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 am

Many thanks dimsav!