ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Once I get to the airport...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Destiny08
Newly Registered

Once I get to the airport...

Post by Destiny08 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:56 pm

can I now go in the EEA passport holder part?

I'm not an EEA passport holder...but my daughter (who will be travelling with me) is, and I'm now on a spouse visa. Do i still go in the "other passports" section?

Just a random question! lol but it occurred to me today i didnt know!

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:18 pm

No - you go to the 'everyone else' section.

Techincally - if you're on a spouse visa and your partner is on an EEA passport of some form and they are with you - then in theory you can go in the EEA line - but there's a risk of being turned and pushed over to the 'others' line.

You'll still need to fill in a landing card.

Destiny08
Newly Registered

Post by Destiny08 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:21 pm

oki, thanks! :D

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:21 pm

You may get away with it if you do so if you have your daughter with you.

I don't know of anyone being rejected or told to go in the appropriate queue yet, unless you come across an obnoxious Immigration Officer :wink:

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:16 am

Destiny

You can go to any queue you like.

In your circumstances, ie travelling with an EU family member, it is highly unlikely any IO would refuse to see you. If they did you would be well within your rights to politely request to see the CHIEF IO.

simmo

Post by simmo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:10 am

INSIDER wrote:Destiny

In your circumstances, ie travelling with an EU family member, it is highly unlikely any IO would refuse to see you. If they did you would be well within your rights to politely request to see the CHIEF IO.
Very interesting, INSIDER.

Out of interest, is this officially part of UKBA policy? I was curious to know the answer to this and put in a FoI request to find out if it was and it was politely rebuffed.

I only ask this because after landing back recently at Gatwick at 0415 from Toronto with my Canadian spouse and faced with a super-long non-EU line (lots of Canadians on the flight) it would have been lovely to zip through to the speedy EU line. However, we didn't want to face the risk of being sent back to the back of our original queue :(

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:23 pm

simmo wrote:
INSIDER wrote:Destiny

Very interesting, INSIDER.

Out of interest, is this officially part of UKBA policy? I was curious to know the answer to this and put in a FoI request to find out if it was and it was politely rebuffed.

I only ask this because after landing back recently at Gatwick at 0415 from Toronto with my Canadian spouse and faced with a super-long non-EU line (lots of Canadians on the flight) it would have been lovely to zip through to the speedy EU line. However, we didn't want to face the risk of being sent back to the back of our original queue :(
Simmo,

I can't point to it in writing, but I have often been told by CIOs that passengers should actually be seen at whatever desk they arrive at. So if a non-EU national,travelling alone even, turns up at the EU desk we aren't really supposed to turn that passenger back. In reality however if this was to be implemented by the letter, the queues at the EU desk would be horrendous, and not only Brodie Clark would lose his job-LOL!!!

Most of my colleagues make no issue with regards to non-EU nationals travelling with EU family members. The only thing to be aware of is sometimes an IO at the EU control might not have his/her stamp. In which case the passenger should be directed to another colleague on the EU desk.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:19 am

INSIDER wrote:... The only thing to be aware of is sometimes an IO at the EU control might not have his/her stamp. In which case the passenger should be directed to another colleague on the EU desk.
Family members of EEA national holding a Residence Card could always use the EU line regardless if they are traveling with the EEA national or alone. They don't need to fill in a landing card and their passport should not be stamped.
You will find that most IO are not 100% familiar with the rules for EEA family members but you can always point them to the rules or ask them to check with the Chief Immigration Officer.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Jambo wrote:
INSIDER wrote:... The only thing to be aware of is sometimes an IO at the EU control might not have his/her stamp. In which case the passenger should be directed to another colleague on the EU desk.
Family members of EEA national holding a Residence Card could always use the EU line regardless if they are traveling with the EEA national or alone. They don't need to fill in a landing card and their passport should not be stamped.
You will find that most IO are not 100% familiar with the rules for EEA family members but you can always point them to the rules or ask them to check with the Chief Immigration Officer.
You are correct Jambo.

I know I didn't make it clear but I was thinking more of family members of British nationals for which different rules apply.