ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Consultation on changes to employment-related settlement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sys_sagar

Post by sys_sagar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:13 pm

based on consultation document by MAC

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:20 pm

sys_sagar wrote:based on consultation document by MAC
and which phrase in the consultation document by MAC suggests that the changes will apply to those who entered PBS before April 2011?

sys_sagar

Post by sys_sagar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:50 pm

I don't know.
I have read in this post before that it might not effect to those applied before april 2011.

So, that is the reason I am asking?

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:59 pm

sys_sagar wrote:I don't know.
I have read in this post before that it might not effect to those applied before april 2011.

well, rather than speculating on what someone might have said on the board, why don't you just refer to the original documents? Maybe then you will noticethat both the Government and MAC specifically say that they expect that the changes will apply only to those who entered PBS after April 2011.

shawinam

Post by shawinam » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

ukswus wrote:
sys_sagar wrote:I don't know.

well, rather than speculating on what someone might have said on the board, why don't you just refer to the original documents? Maybe then you will noticethat both the Government and MAC specifically say that they expect that the changes will apply only to those who entered PBS after April 2011.
3.4 Context to analysis of Tier 1 and Tier 2 data (PAGE 36) from MAC report:
3.14 It is our understanding that any changes to settlement policy made as a result of this report will affect only main applicants who enter the PBS from 6 April 2011 and their associated dependants. On that date the rules for being granted a visa under Tiers 1 and 2 were altered. These changes were introduced in Chapter 2. Further detail and the implications are discussed below.

Gaurav1980
Newly Registered

MAC recommendations for mimum annual pay for Tier 2 (ICT) ??

Post by Gaurav1980 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Guys,

Quick couple of questions, was reading about the minimum pay threshold for Tier 2 (General) to be "between" 31K and 49K GBP.

1. Does that hold true for people like me on Tier 2 (ICT) long term Work permit ??

and

2. Is 49K GBP annual the upper limit, what about people earning more than that threshold annual ??

Thanks a lot for your time
-Gaurav

Gaurav1980
Newly Registered

Re: MAC recommendations for mimum annual pay for Tier 2 (ICT

Post by Gaurav1980 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:25 pm

Gaurav1980 wrote:Hi Guys,

Quick couple of questions, was reading about the minimum pay threshold for Tier 2 (General) to be "between" 31K and 49K GBP.

1. Does that hold true for people like me on Tier 2 (ICT) long term Work permit ??

and

2. Is 49K GBP annual the upper limit, what about people earning more than that threshold annual ??

-Gaurav

Any idea guys ??

rajaram20

Post by rajaram20 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Gaurav1980 wrote:

and

-Gaurav

Any idea guys ??
1) You won't be eligible for Permanent residence based on your ICT. Intra company transfer doesn't add up to the eligible 5 years.

2) Report was just a consultation and none of that is confirmed, so better wait until official announcement is made.

wiqram

Post by wiqram » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:40 am

rajaram20 wrote:
Gaurav1980 wrote:

and

-Gaurav

Any idea guys ??
1) You won't be eligible for Permanent residence based on your ICT. Intra company transfer doesn't add up to the eligible 5 years.

2) Report was just a consultation and none of that is confirmed, so better wait until official announcement is made.
Just to clarify, gaurav should be able to qualify for ilr, if he had applied for his first tier 2 ict before April 2011 and then switched to tier 2 ict long term leave to remain.
Rajaram, correct me if I am wrong.

rajaram20

Post by rajaram20 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:08 pm

wiqram wrote:
rajaram20 wrote:
Gaurav1980 wrote:

and

-Gaurav

Any idea guys ??

Just to clarify, gaurav should be able to qualify for ilr, if he had applied for his first tier 2 ict before April 2011 and then switched to tier 2 ict long term leave to remain.
This link might help.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ettlement/

wiqram

Post by wiqram » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:45 pm

rajaram20 wrote:
wiqram wrote:
rajaram20 wrote:
Gaurav1980 wrote:

This link might help.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ettlement/
Thanks rajaram, this link states clearly that the first tier2 should have been applied before april2010 to be eligible to apply for ILR ... And not before april2011 as I stated earlier.

Thanks for this, rajaram.

barbie1

Post by barbie1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Are the recent events regarding Britain unhitching from Europe going to affect the 10 year long rule of applying for residency? Should we expect this to be abolished in the near future?

rajaram20

Post by rajaram20 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:26 pm

No-one know what sort of impact it will have on Non - EU immigration. However, personally I don't think there will be any impacts due to financial isolation from Europe. You have to wait until the Goverment announce the changes to Permanent residency.

sojan

something cooking

Post by sojan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:55 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16372717
"We've limited non-EU workers coming to the UK, overhauled the student visa system and will shortly announce reforms of the family migration and settlement routes.
The only confusing thing is they haven't announced any changes yet. Normally they do in Nov/Dec for the changes to be done in April.
If any drastic steps come in Jan/Feb, there is no enough time to prepare and argue back

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:44 pm

They are playing a dirty game here…
If a draconian cut to settlement options is announced, many people would think twice before coming to UK to work.
People that have choice will pick up another destination.

But as long as the changes are not announced, people continue to apply for work visas and continue to come to UK…on unclear conditions.

I am supposed to apply for Tier 2 General visa in January, and I don’t know should I apply or not…I am sure there are many people in this situation right now.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:45 am

barabashka wrote:They are playing a dirty game here…
If a draconian cut to settlement options is announced, many people would think twice before coming to UK to work.
People that have choice will pick up another destination.

But as long as the changes are not announced, people continue to apply for work visas and continue to come to UK…on unclear conditions.

I am supposed to apply for Tier 2 General visa in January, and I don’t know should I apply or not…I am sure there are many people in this situation right now.
The thing is, they may change the rules for settlement at any time, including for those who have been in the country for some time. So, if they tell you that rule X for settlement of Tier 2 holders will apply from January, it does not mean that it will not be changed in another few years.

So, if your goal is settlement, I would advise you to apply elsewhere...

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:18 am

ukswus wrote:The thing is, they may change the rules for settlement at any time, including for those who have been in the country for some time. So, if they tell you that rule X for settlement of Tier 2 holders will apply from January, it does not mean that it will not be changed in another few years.

So, if your goal is settlement, I would advise you to apply elsewhere...
Well, it is not that I am going to UK for settlement...but I do want to settle in a place where I am going to work (UK or another country).

I think one of the aspects of the proposed changes is that the visa is supposed to be "temporary" or "permanent" from the beginning?

The fact that they change the rules retroactively for people that are already in the country is just terrible - I am surprised this has not been challenged in courts.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:02 pm

barabashka wrote: The fact that they change the rules retroactively for people that are already in the country is just terrible - I am surprised this has not been challenged in courts.
What they do is hide under the clause "the rules are subject to change at any time". Then they tell people to take it or leave it, and most people prefer to wait it out, for lack of better options. But I agree that this approach is exploitative and unfair. I would rather be told straight away that the rules will be impossibly difficult to fulfil from the very beginning (and then I can plan my future accordingly), then be presented with them at the last minute, after having wasted my time here for 5 years.

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:11 am

ukswus wrote: I would rather be told straight away that the rules will be impossibly difficult to fulfil from the very beginning (and then I can plan my future accordingly), then be presented with them at the last minute, after having wasted my time here for 5 years.
Stories like yours really discourage from coming to UK…I wonder if that what stands behind the idea to reduce the net migration to "tens of thousands" – by simply making UK a less attractive place to immigrate to.

Ironically, the unstable system will discourage arrival of people that do have a choice, i.e., stronger and more skilled migrants. These workers will be reluctant to bring their families to a country for a maximum of 5 years, pay taxes and then leave? Why would anyone in sound mind create for himself such a trouble?

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 am

barabashka wrote:
ukswus wrote:
Ironically, the unstable system will discourage arrival of people that do have a choice, i.e., stronger and more skilled migrants. These workers will be reluctant to bring their families to a country for a maximum of 5 years, pay taxes and then leave? Why would anyone in sound mind create for himself such a trouble?
The issued work visas are down 18% compared to last year, and I suspect that the uncertainty you mentioned plays a significant part in this. Student visas are down 15%, if I am not mistaken. Any other country would consider such a drastic cut as a disaster, but not this one. The majority of locals want immigration to be cut by whatever means possible, and the government is doing everything to satisfy the popular demand.

The unpleasant truth is that the locals, by and large, don't like immigrants very much. So if you are coming from an immigrants-friendly country like the US, or Canada, you need to take this into account, and prepare for a small shock before you come here.

rajaram20

Post by rajaram20 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:12 pm

ukswus wrote:
barabashka wrote:
ukswus wrote:
The issued work visas are down 18% compared to last year, and I suspect that the uncertainty you mentioned plays a significant part in this. Student visas are down 15%, if I am not mistaken. Any other country would consider such a drastic cut as a disaster, but not this one. The majority of locals want immigration to be cut by whatever means possible, and the government is doing everything to satisfy the popular demand.

The unpleasant truth is that the locals, by and large, don't like immigrants very much. So if you are coming from an immigrants-friendly country like the US, or Canada, you need to take this into account, and prepare for a small shock before you come here.
Based on the consultation document, there won't be retrospective changes to everyone, having said that nothing has been finalised yet. It is better to wait until the changes are published. It depends where in Canada and US you live in. Not every states are immigration friendly.

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:09 pm

rajaram20 wrote: Based on the consultation document, there won't be retrospective changes to everyone, having said that nothing has been finalised yet. It is better to wait until the changes are published. It depends where in Canada and US you live in. Not every states are immigration friendly.
I think in the consultation document it was mentioned that the proposed changes will affect people that came after April 2011, which means - retroactive changes.

I come from Canada, and I have been in each and every province in that country - all provinces are friendly to immigrants. The country recognizes the advantages of the immigration and so do people there. This was not always the case - in the past Canada had periods of xenophobia. The drawback in Canada is that in some sectors its close to impossible to find jobs (and no, not because immigrants came and "took" the jobs).

As to US - some states indeed are not friendly to immigrants. Moreover, their immigration legislation on federal level is pretty discriminative toward certain groups of people. However, the rules are clear - you know what you are getting into...

dandm

Post by dandm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:49 pm

The government has produced another report that puts the boot into non-EU migrants.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -23694274/

I fear they are laying the groundwork for a not very nice announcement on settlement etc.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 pm

lol.. you are linking an article from a tabloid.

sir, you have a good sense of humour!

dandm

Post by dandm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 am

The MAC report has been picked up by all the papers, the Mirror's just the one I bothered to link, and probably the audience the government most intended the report for, if you get my meaning.

It's in the FT too.