ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Problems with NCS

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

juso73

Problems with NCS

Post by juso73 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:14 pm

I thought this should actually have it's own heading...

We have been to the NCS this morning and were unfortunate enough to get someone attending us who seems to have had their first day. The lady was nice but very confused and clearly didn't know what she was doing...

Just to summarise: my husband (Brazilian) is applying for Citizenship and has had PR (basend on myself, German, as a EEA family member) since 5 August 2010 (he has the relevant sticker in his passport). Now, over one year later, he wants to apply for Citizenship.

Initially the NCS woman took copies of his current passport (the one with the PR sticker, all pages), his old passport (dating back to 2003 - all pages) and the Life in the UK test and said that this was all she required.

Once we were already out the door she came running behind us and said that she had forgotten something and that we should also provide proof for the last 6 years in form of P60s, P45s etc

We have some of this but my husband had periods of unemployment inbetween and didn't claim benefit so proving his residence based on this is not a straightforward process, by providing 6 P60s for the last 6 years... He got his PR based on myself, as my employment history is very straightforward with much less employers and non stop employment for 5 years, and now only a few months of self employment this year.

As i had some documents with me I provided her with some stuff but she got very muddled, copied some of the stuff, couldn't decide whether she only needed it for the last year or the whole period and then said that her supervisor would check all this on Monday and contact us should something be missing... She was completely focused on P60s and didn't want me to provide her with bank statements which we had for the whole period non stop...

We are now very confused and whilst I am trying to get as much stuff together in case they need us to return with more documents I still believe that in fact none of this is actually required as it syas in the Guide for form AN as below:

APPLICATIONS MADE ON THE BASIS OF RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married to or in civil
partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application
Your passports OR say why you are unable to provide one on page 13 and supply
Letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government
Departments indicating the applicant’s presence in the United Kingdom during the
relevant period

I am reading this meaning that you have to EITHER provide your passport(s) OR documents proving that you have been residdent here if you don't have your passport for some reason - but not BOTH.

In line with this thinking the guide goes on to say that in case your passport is NOT stamped when you enter the UK (which, however, it is in the case of my husband as he is Brazilian), then
you should send your passport and also
provide alternative evidence of residence as above.

To sum it up: I believe that we only have to provide Either his passport (with the PR sticker and the stamps) OR the evidence but have now been asked to do both... ;-(

Who can shed light on this?? Hopefully it's just the lady not knowing what she is doing, but it would be good to know if I am reading this wrongly...

The alternative would always be to apply based on myself as my employment history is much more straightforward as I have all my P60s from the last 6 years.... What do people think?

I will ring them on Monday and tell them that I don't want the application send like this as it is not neat and very confusing in my opinion, with just a few, incomplete supporting documents that are not needed at all... We had a very difficult process when applying for the PR (they lost half of our documents) so am concerned that the UKBA will find faults if not everything is straightforward and clear...

Please help!! Thanks!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Please continue in your previous topic.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!