ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Miami
Newly Registered

Post by Miami » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:37 pm

WP_Holder_05_2002 wrote:I got a feeling that we will get some decision in our favour in next 30 days.... :lol: :lol:

Was that supposed to be sarcastic or......?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:44 pm

nonothing wrote: The year is 2027 and a litter-strewn London is under siege from terrorists, illegal immigrants and rising civil unrest....
It is unfair to tar illegal immigrants with the sweeping libel of singularly undermining society. What is often overlooked is how current citizens and legal migrants can just as easily casually shirk what were once called their civic duties. A trend that has already started and likely to accelerate particularly in London, is how the rich are walling themselves off from the rest of society. More than just fearing newcomers, they also reject any increased taxation upon them (across the board or otherwise) as an unjust penalty. Or a cost for which they see no benefit. Don't be surprised if you see a rising wave of the rich establishing themselves as permanently offshore with tenuous bonds, if any, to their countries of origin. Citizenship shouldn't be a responsibility hoop through which only migrants must jump. It's a long-term commitment for all residents to maintain.

(This probably doesn't belong in this section, so I beg the moderator's indulgence for this Speaker's Corner-style rant...)

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:46 pm

I am gathering by the tone of some posts that some people are getting quite frustrated maybe because we have not heard anything from any parties, but also maybe because your 4 year ILR is looming or you have just passed this point.

I know what this feels like (8 months to go before I apply for 5 yr ILR), as my date came and passed for the 4 yrs I did go through quite an angry period especially since I have already been here for 8 yrs. My work colleges mostly felt my wrath especially the English ones, as I guess we have no other means or people to vent to.

I would suggest as your period for 4 yrs ILR approaches that you try take a few days off and maybe find an alternative punching bag to the people at work as your work is what keeps you here, with out it you would not be applying for any ILR, also getting angry does not help you as a person we should all try to remain calm and face this adversity with dignity safe in the knowledge that we are above this, and above the people who decide our fate.

WP_Holder_05_2002

Post by WP_Holder_05_2002 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:29 am

http://www.vbsi.org.uk/index.php?mact=N ... eturnid=15

Immigration Minister is in Pakistan.. Is it good idea if this question (retrospective effect) would be asked in Pakistan by some journalist. I got some friends there who can manage to put this question over there at some press conference.

Please advise .. is it good idea that we put this question over there?

ssi

Post by ssi » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:38 am

WP_Holder_05_2002, this just came in to info at vbsi, which is relevant to what you are suggesting :
"as VBSI have pointed out before, it could be in the Government's best interests to keep delaying a decision, since fewer and fewer people will be effected by the 4 - 5 change as time passes. However, though (in my cynical view) existing immigrants in the UK have little say in the matter, potential immigrants DO.
I think the Government would listen much more closely if campaigns were directed at potential immigrants, who are deciding which country to settle in. This is clearly important to the Government, given their creation and promotion of the HSMP (and, in particular, the MBA provision) -- and, if we can find a way to highlight this experience to potential immigrants, as a warning that the rules may well change on them, then it will be in the Government's best interests to listen, and, hopefully, reverse this retrospective policy.
Therefore, I would suggest targeted campaigns that could include the following:
* Online 'banner' advertising on immigration web sites (e.g. workpermit.com, escapeartist.com, and the like), based on the posters on the VBSI web site (I especially like the blurred card that shows '4' and '5'). Maybe this could be a banner link that goes straight to VBSI?? It would make a lot more people aware, and would certainly get the Government's attention.
* Participation in online forums. I don't know if you would be allowed to link to the VBSI site, but you could certainly pose a question in a forum, or respond to an enquiry made about, for example HSMP.
Once the Government gets the idea that potential highly-skilled immigrants are seeing this, they will be bound to pay a little more attention..."

a11

Post by a11 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:23 pm

WP_holder_05_2002, I think the more the Minister is asked about those things, the better. So if you've got any connections, please use them. But if I'm not mistaken, the Minister is getting back to the UK today. This, however, may not be an obstacle for your journalist friends to contact him in writing.

hvac2006
Newly Registered

Ccommand paper

Post by hvac2006 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:01 pm

There is a fresh changes in immigration rules under Command paper number 6918 appeared today and were presented to the parliament on 18th of september 2006. I have not obsered any changes to the rules aleardy enforced. Can any one suggest if there will any affect on us.
link to the site http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutu ... ngescm6918

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:10 pm

Well, I believe it affects only refugees and asylum seekers.

hvac2006
Newly Registered

Post by hvac2006 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:19 pm

Few months back as I informed the forum that my MP sent letter to home office regarding these changes and also I printed brief of reply my MP received from home office. Than Again my MP wrote to home office in reply of home office's letter, copy of which i received with recent reply of my MP's second letter to home office. My MP presented the case very well but result remains the same, I just wanted to print here copy of my MP's letter for information, It is:
"Dear Minister
Thanks you for your response to my letter regarding the Highly skilled Migrant Workers programme which I received on 29th june 2006.
However i found the letter extremely unhelpful, unconvincing and patronising on several points. Specially I think it is inescapable that the gvernment has entered into written agreement with the relativly small number of people granted entry under this scheme and now wishes to renege on this. This can only lead to poorer relations between ourselves and minority communities and has a profound effect upon the lives of many of them and the plans they have legitimately made for themselves and their families. If we continue like this the UK will soon not be "an attractive destination for hard working and skilled people" however much we say how much benefit they bring to this country.
I will urge you to reconsider this very shabby rule change and deal with some integrity with this small but important group of people seeking to make a contibution to this country
With All good wishes
XXX".

With reply to this fine letter home office again repeated the same argument regarding EU and other points which they allready sent to number of us.

ssi

Post by ssi » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:38 pm

hvac2006, If I were this MP, I would be as furious as people directly affected by the rule change. Do you think your MP may wish to continue to interrogate the IND? It may be useful if he spoke with Andrew Dismore MP, as AD was promised by LB in a face to face meeting that his replies "would no longer be as meaningless and irrelevant as heaps of previous letters we were receiving from lower-rank HO officials." AD keeps reminding LB about this when he has a chance, and if he mentioned that other MPs are still getting the same "meaningless and irrelevant" letters it could be helpful.

Everyone, maybe it is useful to write MPs about the meeting between LB and the VBSI and NLCA and to ask them to quiz the IND if they have any comment on the outcome?

a11

Post by a11 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:21 pm

hvac2006, this is perhaps the most straightforward MP letter we've come across so far. Can you please let us know his name?

a11

Post by a11 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:36 am

ssi reminds me that this is mike wood. sorry for being so forgetful!

hvac2006
Newly Registered

Post by hvac2006 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:02 am

a11 wrote:ssi reminds me that this is mike wood. sorry for being so forgetful!
Yes he is Mike Wood and off course he still strugling for our rights. You must be remembering that i send you ful copy of home office letter in June it is continuation of that letter. I am trying to arrange another meeting with him to plan future stradegy.

a11

Post by a11 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:33 am

Thanks! Please keep on trying, and so we will!

ssi

Post by ssi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:40 pm

hvac2006's MP's letter has now been published here http://www.vbsi.org.uk/index.php?page=r ... om_the_mps , along with a letter from the HO addressed to Mike Wood: http://www.vbsi.org.uk/uploads/Docs/Joa ... keWood.pdf .

I note that the HO letter is signed by Joan Ryan (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Home Office). It may mean that LB has never seen any piece of correspondence between Mike Wood and the HO. As has been posted before on this forum, letters sent since August 2006 and signed by LB himself contain requests for real hardship cases.

Everyone, please, if you contact your MPs, let them know that it is very important to get through to Liam Byrne himself. Lower rank HO officials will not move a finger to help us. It was their incompetence which created this issue, and obviously they would very much like to leave everything as it is.

mahin1110

Legal case

Post by mahin1110 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:13 pm

It seems to me quite convincing that lobbing efforts going to fail. Although I am not a lawyer it is seems to me that one can make a good appeal case based on the rejection for ILR by an HSMP applicant. Because, HO has given written commitment and this is a contract. HO is obliged to honour it if an HSMP applicant qualify based on that contract. existing HSMP candidate did not apply or sign for new contract based on 5 years stay.

As far as I am concerned any one can appeal if their case is rejected by HO. Even if you filed an appeal you can represent yourself without a lawyer. I know one case who won the appeal regarding his LTR (student) case.

My suggestion is to pick a HSMP ILR rejection case and file an appeal. This is how we can compell HO to change the rules. This is important to everybody (including those who have already completed 4 years) not only for ILR but also for future unjust rules change by HO.

ssi

Re: Legal case

Post by ssi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:35 pm

mahin1110, a few weeks ago, a11 wrote here http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 0208#50208 : "Christine Lee has selected 20 rejection cases which she believes have a fair chance to be won. She has hired a QC to deal with them. She is going to fund him from her budget. But she asked him to hold on to them until we meet with the Minister and see what happens. Because the way it happened before with cases against the HO, as soon as the HO learn that a case has been initiated, they refuse to talk and just wait until the court makes a decision. If CL feels that lobbying the minister doesn't work, she asks this QC to proceed with the cases."

Of course, an additional similar lawsuit can be arranged, but please keep in mind that at least one law firm has already prepared such a case and it would be useful to use that experience. Hopefully, within a week or two the situation with LB's response is clear, and, if his response is negative, CL's case will go ahead. If you want to organise an additional court action you may find it useful to exchange information with BadPaul.

WP_Holder_05_2002

Post by WP_Holder_05_2002 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:32 pm

Even if the rule is not reversed, we all will be grateful to VBSI, CL & SK.

Thank you very much guys, I salute your efforts and determination. We are still hopeful to get the justice as we have people with us who will not leave the field that easily.

WP_Holder_05_2002

Post by WP_Holder_05_2002 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:57 pm

any more updates please...

jayj

Post by jayj » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:48 am

you know when you wait and wait for this ILR , you plan your life , your holiday,kids etc...and suddenly they chnage the rule retrospectively...they just made life sooo difficult..being in one company for 4 years is not easy when you have to deal with bad behaviour and the politics that go withit , I was planning to take time out, go on holiday , go contracting and so forth...but now this rule change has caused us grief
I'm sure Stephen K and CL ar doing their best...but an update will be good...
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

WP_Holder_05_2002

Post by WP_Holder_05_2002 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:11 am

I am interested to apply for a job recently advertised but the essential requirements for this is role is

You must be a British Citizen, a national of a state within the EEA or Commonwealth Citizen with no restrictions on employment or time limit on your permitted stay in the UK. In addition, you should normally have lived here continuously for the last 3 years.

My ILR was due in May 06, but due to this retrospective change, I can't progress with my career...

Question: Please guess who advertised this vacancy???
Answer: The HOME OFFICE ..

http://jobs.accountancyagejobs.com/texi ... w=1&page=3

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:46 pm

Why on earth would you want to work for the Home Office after all that's happened?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:50 pm

he's trying to change the rules back from inside. :D

honestly, after all that happened, i'm seriously considering leaving this country after i've got its passport. because not only the unfair changes but also the whole atmosphere among the public just ain't right.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:04 pm

nonothing wrote: honestly, after all that happened, i'm seriously considering leaving this country after i've got its passport. because not only the unfair changes but also the whole atmosphere among the public just ain't right.
If that is the case then why take the trouble of going for the passport??? :lol:

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:15 pm

olisun wrote:
nonothing wrote: honestly, after all that happened, i'm seriously considering leaving this country after i've got its passport. because not only the unfair changes but also the whole atmosphere among the public just ain't right.
If that is the case then why take the trouble of going for the passport??? :lol:
I'm guessing because nothing beats being able to wave that magic little red booklet almost anywhere in the world and being able to get in visa-free.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.