ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit and tax credits with ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

skazmi
Newly Registered

Child Benefit and tax credits with ILR

Post by skazmi » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Hello,

My wife and I got our ILR in august 2011 and have now applied for my 7 month old daughter's registeration for citizenship under section 1(3). I need to know if claiming child benefit and tax credit would have any impact on our application for citizenship next year?

look forward to a response.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:30 am

You have ILR and therefore entitled to claim whatever benefits your circumstances dictate you are entitled to. Just make sure, when completing the application forms you correctly answer the question asking if you ceased to be subject to immigration control within the previous three months. You need to enter the date you got your ILR, because that is the date you ceased to be subject to immigration control.

Claiming such benefits will have no impact upon applications for Citizenship.
John

skazmi
Newly Registered

Post by skazmi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:42 pm

many thanks for your prompt reply John.

Cheers

pjunk
Newly Registered

Post by pjunk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I am in a similar situation, just rcived ILR and applying for registration for child's citizenship. But, just wanted to check whether my child is still under immigration restrictions, is that right?

Also, any idea on what benifits/credits I could go for when the family income is not considered 'low'.

Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:59 pm

any idea on what benifits/credits I could go for when the family income is not considered 'low'.
Child Benefit is the obvious benefit to apply for. It is currently a universal benefit .... income does not matter ... so obviously apply for that .... but on the application form there is a question about whether you ceased to be subject to immigration control in the last 3 months. As you have told us you have "just rcived ILR" it appears that you have got ILR in the last 3 months, so you will need to enter the date you ceased to be subject to immigration control = the date you got your ILR.

Other benefits? Child Tax Credit .... if the family income is less than £40000 pa.
just wanted to check whether my child is still under immigration restrictions
You ask that because? It seems totally irrelevant to me. After all the child is not claiming any benefits, are they!
John

pjunk
Newly Registered

Post by pjunk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:57 am

Many thanks John

ash210

Hi John

Post by ash210 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Hello John,
I read ur replies before submitting my claim for CTC and WTC, which i did on 23/8/11 and they received it or logged on to the system on 30/8/11 and in the claim form i said yes i was subject to immigration control in the last three months as i got my ILR on 27/7/11 and also i sent them a copy of mine and my wife's visa page, and they sent a letter asking the same question again that weather i was subject to immigration control in last three months, i ticked the box yes and again i sent copies of ILR page from our passports and nothing seems to be happening, when ever i call i am being told the same story, o did u send the form we sent you asking about ur immigration status, and after that they see sorry we cant give any time frames as ur claim is subject to extensive checks.
Do you have any rough estimates how long it will take for applicants like me?
Regards

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:26 pm

I am not sure, but after a couple of months I think you are totally justified contacting your MP asking him/her to chase them. After all, what on earth have they got to check?
John

ash210

Post by ash210 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:02 pm

HI John,
I dont know to be honest, all i am doing is calling them every week to hear the same answer and yes the option you gave is good contacting my MP, i will give it a few more days and wait till its 2 months and as u said will contact the MP.
Regards

ash210

john pls need your help

Post by ash210 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi John,
Its been 12 weeks since i sent in my claim for ctc and wtc but nothing seem to happen, i wrote to my MP to help me out, he called them and wrote to me what they said to him "tax credits office have asked me to supply additional information on numerous occasions and i have failed to send them that" and my MP was saying that i need to send in the requested info but i swear to god i have never received any such letter from them so i went to one of his advice surgeries and told him that i have never received any request from them, he said he will email me the address where i need to send all the documents and he emailed saying he spoke to them again and they have sent a new request to me and now 10 days nothing yet.
Dont know what to do and clearly tax credits office are lying, shall i send the originals to them myself?
pls john help me out with this.
Kind Regards

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:15 pm

You do not know what they are requesting.

I think that the best you can do is to keep your MP's office in the picture .... very regularly. If you have their email address, suggest a daily email, sent shortly after the postman has delivered (or walked past your front door).
John

ash210

Hi John

Post by ash210 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi John,
We have now received two forms they need us to fill in because they "need some more information". The first is TC406(NTC) which requests information about my nationality and the date I arrived in the UK.

The second form is TC157(NTC) and requests information about both of us and needs to be sent back with evidence of our immigration status. For both of us they want evidence of "Indefinite leave to stay in the UK", and the choices are forms GEN 22, ICD0725, RON 60 or ICD00094. We don't have any of these. All we have is the visa that shows we have Indefinite Leave to remain in the UK.

Do you know about these?? and which ILR do i have from the above options? and also will it be a problem with UKBA as what i have showed as earnings is well above what i really earn.

Kind Regards
Ash