ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Backlog 6 weeks in getting WP and 8 weeks in FLR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sam123

Backlog 6 weeks in getting WP and 8 weeks in FLR

Post by Sam123 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:41 pm

Hi Team

I spoke to Workpermit helpline they said it will take altogether 12-14 weeks to get through WP and FLR. I am a teacher my school will be going to start on 1st Sept. My Boss is not happy at all. They can not hire anyone now- it is too late.

I am just wondering if Home office can allow people to start work once WP has gone through- like they did in the past. Or any other fast track route?

I am just stressed and cant think anything. My present contract is running out on 31st August 2004.

Please advise me ASAP.

Thanks

Yours sincerely

Sam

tvt

Post by tvt » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:38 pm

They don't allow it.

Where are the good old days where WPs were issued after one day and you could start working immediately.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

K2004

Post by K2004 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:38 am

perhaps those old days, submitting WP application was free?this is why it was much faster?

Gmmi

Post by Gmmi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:52 am

What is FLR? Is it something about stamp on your passport?
My understanding was that once you get WP you can start working immediately. If all process is taking 12-16 weeks then no employer would hire me!

uniuni
Newly Registered

I'm in the same situation

Post by uniuni » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:46 am

Hi Sam.

I'm a newly qualified teaher starting in September and in the same situation as yours.
Fortunately I got my work permit within a week so now I need to get FLR (further leave to remain).

I made so many enquiries about FLR application, calling up the home office. Different people gave me different answers and it was so frustrating. They said they were seriously understaffed but would get more staff soon. One said it would take five weeks now but another said over eight weeks. None of them really grasp the situation really.

I was initially going to go back to my home country and get an entry clearance (leave to enter) there because I thought it would be quicker (you can get an EC on the same day). But I was told that the British Embassy in my country wouldn't accept my application because the work permit approval letter I got was issued to a person who is 'already in the uk' so the embassy cannot deal with my case.

Anyway so I posted my application for FLR yesterday. I'll just wait until August and if I don't get my passport back by Sep, I'll speak to my school. I can probably work as a volunteer (I cannot commence work until you get FLR as you know). I won't be able to sign a contract until then and won't get paid.

Apparantly the home office has a connection with Inland Revenue and if you start work and get paid, they will know it somehow and your school will get in trouble.

Sam, I know you're stressed. I've got a real headache. This new system (separate applications) is, I honestly think, a total failure.

I hope we all will be alright in the end.

Regards,

uniuni

K2004

Post by K2004 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:15 am

uniuni,

you said in your reply:

"Apparantly the home office has a connection with Inland Revenue and if you start work and get paid, they will know it somehow and your school will get in trouble."

Are you sure about that or it is just a rumour? anyone else has an idea?
so why in the FLR application they ask how much you earn every omnth net ?

uniuni
Newly Registered

HO and Inland Revenue

Post by uniuni » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:44 pm

Hi Sam

When my friend got a WP, she (bravely) asked the home office how they know if the person begin working or not, and then they told her the story (Inland Revenue has a resoinsibility of reporting to HO if the person has income and pay tax etc...so the HO has the data).
So i'm quite sure of it, I'm afraid.

...but to be really really honest with you, I don't think they can track down all the employees and spot out those who actually break the rule.

uniuni

Sam123

Post by Sam123 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:39 pm

Thanks team for sharing your experiences. I am just frustrated, because my Principal is not happy at all, she has told me if I dont get a decison on FLR before 1st of Sept. I will not be able to work- it means I will lose my job. They are lookng for supply teacher for long term contract and I will be out of job because I have not signed any contract and cant not work legally without FLR and WP. My visa is expiring on 30th Sept.

I just had enough with this Work Permit Bureaucracy.

I am looking for other options back home- applying for jobs.

Good luck to all

Sam