ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ilr on 5 year work permit or 10 year rule

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

david1955
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

ilr on 5 year work permit or 10 year rule

Post by david1955 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi i am asking this question on behalf of 1 of my friend . He is been in the country for last 10 years.
1 st three years he has spend in university doing degree, then next 2 years he is been on SEGS and after then he is been in the country on work permit...now he qualifies for ILR on both the basis i.e. on 5 year work permit as well as 10 year long residency....can anyone please let me know as which one is the easiest and hassle free way for his ILR?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Hassle-free immigration application? Any in which one can prove that one meets the mandatory requirements and provides the necessary documentary evidences needed.

When does he complete 10 years lawful residence?
When does he complete 5 years as an economic migrant (WP holder)?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

david1955
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by david1955 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 pm

my friend will qualify under both the 10 year rule and 5 year rule in the same month of sep 2012

sushdmehta wrote:Hassle-free immigration application? Any in which one can prove that one meets the mandatory requirements and provides the necessary documentary evidences needed.

When does he complete 10 years lawful residence?
When does he complete 5 years as an economic migrant (WP holder)?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:34 am

His choice then!

The only difference between the two that I can think of is that he cannot make a settlement application in-person (at a PEO) under long residence ... but can as a WP migrant (and can expect to be granted settlement on the same day if the case is deemed straight-forward by the caseworker).

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Wouldn't he have to meet the new salary requirements if he applies under the WP route? I don't believe this would be necessary under the ten-year route. It would be a good idea for him to check on that.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: ilr on 5 year work permit or 10 year rule

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:56 pm

david1955 wrote:now he qualifies for ILR on both the basis i.e. on 5 year work permit as well as 10 year long residency
I assume that the word highlighted has been used keeping in mind that the the person in question "fulfils" the mandatory requirements for settlement in both the immigration categories.

Otherwise, the question being asked in the topic (which one is a hassle-free process) becomes irrelevant.