ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa - Living with wife for 5 years outside UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

simonandnew
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa - Living with wife for 5 years outside UK

Post by simonandnew » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:04 am

I am British and my wife is Thai (Married for 5 years). We want to apply for a spouse visa and return together to the UK. We have been married for 5 years and have 2 kids and we have lived together all that time in Thailand, with both of us working.

I want to go with my wife to England and then find work there. How can I satisfy the financial requirement without having to go to England alone (leaving my wife and kids behind for the first time in my life) and then getting work before applying for her spouse visa.

Seems strange that the process seems to force a separation on our family.

Please explain if there is anything I can do.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:21 am

Savings
Support from family or other benefactors
A contract of employment that is not open to doubt.

However, if you do not have access to any of the above, you might consider visiting the UK with your family (showing an intention to leave as necessary) and spend those six months establishing yourself economically (any job will suffice; mop the floor at McDonalds). Then after that time your wife can return to Thailand and make a settlement application with your payslips and bank statements. Good luck

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 am

If visiting, then take the KOL test.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

beatboy

Post by beatboy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:31 pm

You may also want to check out the Government proposals to change spouse visa laws as they could well come into force by April 2012

The topic is on this forum:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=82294

shoko
Newly Registered

Post by shoko » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:01 am

Hello,

As far as I understand you can apply for the ILE
"If you and your husband, wife or civil partner have been living together outside the UK for four years or more, and you meet all the necessary requirements to stay permanently in the UK, you may be granted indefinite leave to enter. These requirements include showing that you have the necessary level of knowledge of the English language and life in the UK (see relevant section of this guidance for more information)."

but the requirements are the same plus you need the test, the thing is that with the ILE it will be faster for your wife to get the passport

But Lucapooka s got a good idea.

I dont think you can use the EEA route, but I might be wrong and there s a way for your wife to enter the UK as a partner of a returning citizen

Swadeeka

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:17 am

shoko wrote:Hello,

As far as I understand you can apply for the ILE
Only on if the KOL (see Vinny's post) has been passed at the time of applying. Otherwise no. Entering the UK with ILE does not permit a faster route to citizenship to that of a standard 2 year LTE visa. The residence requirement for partners of British citizens is 3 years in either case.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:55 pm

vinny wrote:If visiting, then take the KOL test.
Can you still do this with the new online booking procedure?
pennyless