ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

If you plan to transit at a Swiss Airport, read this first

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ca.funke
Belgium

If you plan to transit at a Swiss Airport, read this first

Post by ca.funke » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:16 am

If you plan to transit at a Swiss Airport, read >>this (German version)<< first.

Google Translated >>(English) here<<.

It´s a disgrace.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:19 am

I understood US citizens where allowed total 90 days stay within
6 months period in the whole Schengen area.
Not 90 days in France and another 90 days in Germany etc etc.
is this correct ?

Technically the US citizen was not in transit in Switzerland, she was
exiting Schengen. hence she got nailed for overstaying 90 days
(she had 95 days) in Schengen.

So, is the problem here that the Swiss where too keen to fine the
US citizen for a tiny breaking of the law ?

Or do the bi-lateral agreements really allow her more than 90 days when
she exits via Germany, or is it that the Germans don't do anything for
such a minor infraction ? usually nothing happens to US citizens,
certainly not a ban or fine for such a tiny overstay.

I found the following in these comments,
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... 9&start=15
is it wrong
first they get 90 days visa free for all Schengen countries then they have 90 days bilateral visa free per country
she stayed in France for 95 days, 90 on Schengen and 5 on bilateral.... legal
Switzerland says its 95 days in Schengen
Last edited by acme4242 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:26 am

acme4242 wrote:I understood US citizens where allowed total 90 days stay within
is this correct ?
Yes.

The rule for visa-free nationals is three months in any six month period. The six month period commences with the first entry and only resets once this six month anniversary has passed. For example: Entry 1.1.2011 - the person may remain for a total of 90 days between then and 30.5.2011. These 90 days may be all at once or may be interrupted by periods outside the Schengen countries. In other words, if the person remains from 1.1.2011 until 31.3.2011 then no further entry is possible until 1.6.2011 because that's when the next six month period commences. There is debate on "90 days versus three months" and on what consitutes six months (180 days or six calendar months which may be 181 or 182 days). This varies between the Schengen countries.

An extension beyond 90 days once in the relevant country would constitute a residence permit being granted, most countries have a rule similar to the UK as regards "no switching", thus rendering this impossible.

Some countries have agreements with third countries which were concluded prior to Schengen law as it now exists being implemented. These continue to apply. United States citizens are subject to the 90 day limit in Germany but may return immediately subject to the federal police (IOs) being satisfied that they are not taking de-facto residence, they can also switch, ie. apply for residence permits inside the country during the 90 day limit.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:29 am

acme4242 wrote:I understood US citizens where allowed total 90 days stay within
is this correct ?
I also thought so.

However, the article sais that Germany, France, Italy, Spaing and Austria have a special agreement with the US, allowing US-citizens to stay for up to 6 months without applying for anything ("Visabefreiungsabkommen").

Have to say, I never heard of that.

Next the article sais that, if these US-citizens stay within these countries, there are no problems, but if they (try to) exit Schengen via another "normal" Schengen-country, that´s where the trouble starts.

In the airport-case it´s specifically stoopid, since they only transfer (but not transit, big difference!).

Underlying problem that I see is that, as usual, the EU is not very homogeneous.

In the US this could never happen. While they have strict rules, I think it´s impossible to be treated differently depending on whether you exit via Connecticut or New Jersey (or for that matter any other state)...

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Everything I find so far from Embassy says US citizens can only
stay 90 days. anyone found the bi-lateral agreements ?

checking tim manual
http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_w ... r=DELTAB2C

National USA (US) /Destination France (FR)

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 3 months:
- for nationals of USA, holding normal passports;

Warning:
- For passengers arriving/departing Geneva (GVA) and
Basel/Mulhouse/Freiburg (BSL) , see Switzerland.

then I check Switzerland, nothing unusual
http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_w ... r=DELTAB2C
National USA (US) /Destination Switzerland (CH)

Visa required, except for Nationals of USA for a max. stay of
3 months.
am I missing something here...

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:53 am

I'm beginning to think this story about US citizens having
a right to stay beyond 90 days in some Schengen states is bull.
I cannot find the magic individual bilateral agreements

The US Government advisory to US citizens, quote Schengen
standard rules, nothing exceptional, no extras.
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_ ... quirements
Germany

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: Germany is a party to the Schengen Agreement. As a U.S. citizen, you may enter Germany for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your entry into Germany begins the 90 day limit for the entire Schengen area. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet
France

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: U.S. citizens may enter France for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. France is a party to the Schengen Agreement, which allows for visa-free travel between member countries. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Munich (in German)
Staatsangehörige von Australien, Neuseeland, Israel, Japan, Kanada, der Republik Korea und der Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika können ohne Visum in die Bundesrepublik Deutschland einreisen. Sie müssen nach der Einreise bei der Ausländerbehörde einen Aufenthaltstitel beantragen, wenn Sie sich länger als drei Monate hier aufhalten oder eine Erwerbstätigkeit ausüben wollen. Wenn Sie während Ihres Aufenthaltes eine unselbständige Beschäftigung ausüben wollen, müssen Sie und Ihr Arbeitgeber zusätzlich das Formular Ausländerbeschäftigung ausfüllen.

Allgemeine Informationen

Anmeldung des Wohnsitzes: Bitte melden Sie sich innerhalb einer Woche im Bürgerbüro im Kreisverwaltungsreferat oder im Bürgerbüro im Rathaus Pasing oder bei einer Außenstelle des Bürgerbüros an.
Aufenthaltserlaubnis: Nach der Anmeldung beantragen Sie in der Ausländerbehörde im Kreisverwaltungsreferat Ihre Aufenthaltserlaubnis.
Aufenthaltserlaubnis für Ihren Ehepartner, Ihre Kinder oder Ihren eingetragenen gleichgeschlechtlichen Lebenspartner: Besitzen Ihre Familienangehörigen eine andere Staatsangehörigkeit, müssen diese gegebenenfalls ein Visum zum Familiennachzug beantragen. Mögliche Ausnahmen von einem Erfordernis des Visums und weitere Informationen finden Sie im Internetangebot des Auswärtigen Amtes.
So basically it says that if you come from certain countries and want to stay more than 90 days in Germany, then you need to apply for an "Aufenthaltstitel" from the city hall.

The person would have done a normal entry into Germany in most cases.

So either the person in the Swiss case did not have this Aufenthaltstitel, or the Swiss did not legally recognize it.