ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

claiming child benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

papiaroy

claiming child benefit

Post by papiaroy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi
I have just received my ILR last week. I think I am eligible to claim child benefit. After going thru HMRC form I understand that since my child was not born in UK I need to be sending her original passport also along with her birth certificate.
Now my question is how long does HMRC take to process? Approximately when do I get the passport back? Is there any local passport checking service in this case?
Thanks and regards

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Approximately when do I get the passport back? Is there any local passport checking service in this case?
About 2 to 4 weeks. Local service? No.

When completing the application form there is a question about whether you ceased to be subject to immigration control in the last 3 months. Obviously, for you, the answer is yes. It then goes on to ask for the date you ceased to be subject to immigration control, for you the date you got your ILR.

Your child's birth certificate, is it in the English language, or have you got a Certified Translation into English?
John

papiaroy

Post by papiaroy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks John.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:53 pm

The answer, about the birth certificate?
John

papiaroy

Post by papiaroy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 am

Hi John
My child's birth certificate was issued in India and in English language. So that is not a problem.
Thanks and regards

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:54 pm

papiaroy wrote:Hi John
My child's birth certificate was issued in India and in English language. So that is not a problem.
Thanks and regards
Hi, I am in the same boat and got my ILR last month. My child was born in UK. Do I only need to send the birth certificate along with the application? Also any idea how much it will be?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:16 pm

There is much more information available on this webpage from the HMRC website. They administer Child Benefit.
John

Ambassador
Newly Registered

Post by Ambassador » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:55 pm

I called the Child benefit helpline to check if I need to send the original passport of mine and my daughter. They informed me to send the original birth certificate and copies of home office documents by recorded delivery. They will contact me if they want to see any other documents.

papiaroy

Post by papiaroy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks for the update. I will send the copies of HO documents and original birth certificate.

newc

Post by newc » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:52 pm

papiaroy wrote:Thanks for the update. I will send the copies of HO documents and original birth certificate.
Hi Papiaroy,

What other benefits are available once you get ILR? Would claiming any of these benefit may cause any problem while making Naturalisation application?

Do both of you and your partner need to have the National Insurance number before claiming any benefit?

What are those HO documents that need to be send with the Child benefit application? You mean the cover letter and the leaflet pages copies?

boloney

Post by boloney » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:16 pm

papiaroy wrote:Would claiming any of these benefit may cause any problem while making Naturalisation application?
No

papiaroy

Post by papiaroy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:08 am

Hi
There will be no problem during naturalization if you claim child benefit after having ILR.
In the child benefit form my husband had to quote his NI card number.
I sent only the original birth certificate of my daughter.
I also sent photocopy of my husband's ILR stamped passport page and a photocopy of my daughter's passport. That is all. Nothing else. My application was approved within 3 weeks but I got the original birth certificate back just within 7 days.
Thanks and regards

newc

Post by newc » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:24 am

papiaroy wrote:Hi
There will be no problem during naturalization if you claim child benefit after having ILR.
In the child benefit form my husband had to quote his NI card number.
I sent only the original birth certificate of my daughter.
I also sent photocopy of my husband's ILR stamped passport page and a photocopy of my daughter's passport. That is all. Nothing else. My application was approved within 3 weeks but I got the original birth certificate back just within 7 days.
Thanks and regards
Thanks Papiaroy..

sarath1212

Post by sarath1212 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:53 pm

John wrote:
Your child's birth certificate, is it in the English language, or have you got a Certified Translation into English?
Hi John,

I have got my ILR recently and my child birth certificate is not in English. Please can you let me know where can i get the Certified Translation into English?

Thanks,
Raj

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:20 pm

I have only got response back from them now that they need to see my original passport and original HO document(not even sure what that is). My fault was that I just send the original birth certificate and not copies of my passport with ILR.

I am traveling within a few weeks and now quite in a fix whether to send it or not.