ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Who should have the original workpermit approval letter ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mxn
Newly Registered

Who should have the original workpermit approval letter ?

Post by mxn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:41 pm

Hi,

All of a sudden my HR manager is asking for the original workpermit letter as he tells he needs the original for his records.

I know that I need to have the original workpermit approval letter, I want to prove him wrong but not able to find quick links to some immigration websites which clearly tells that work permit holder needs to retain the original letter and not the employer

can you please send me some links please.

thanks

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:53 pm

I have always kept mine, especially as when you come back into the country, the IO may ask you for it. At least that was i was told...

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:20 pm

I had to produce my original work permit letter when my wife applied as a dependant, There was no mention in the documents section of the SET O form about producing original work permit letter.

On a personal level, I would never hand over any original document that I would possible need to use regarding my immigration status, especially not to people who have no idea of the importance of these documents.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:26 pm

I would never give it to the company either.

mxn
Newly Registered

Post by mxn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:36 pm

I totally agree.

But problem is I need to convince my HR Manager about the importance of this document.

He tells that the Stamp on your passport is more than sufficient to prove you have got the work permit

And he will only understand if he sees in writing some where which clearly mentions that the work permit approval letter needs to be with the work permit holder

I will be greatfull if anyone has any links to any websites. iam searching but iam not able to find the right websites

thanks

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:04 pm

did you get the WP from the current company or u are working at the client's place?

if yes, then the company should have a copy of the WP approval letter.

But you are not obliged to hand over the original WP approval letter to the company but you can maybe provide him with a copy.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:06 pm

Dont handover the original, will be a big mistake. I advise that you make a copy and ask a Solicitor to certify, and handover the certified copy to your employer.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

mxn
Newly Registered

Post by mxn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:00 am

iam working for the company which did my work permit.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:11 pm

Have you asked your company whether they would be happy with a certified copy? If so, no problem.

You will need the original when you apply for ILR eventually anyway.

I'd write to the Home Office and ask them who should hold it, the company or you. Maybe they could issue a duplicate?
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:21 pm

In order for the employer to get a Statutory Defence to any suggestion that they are employing an illegal worker, in respect of anyone in the UK and working with a Work Permit, the employer needs to have in their possession a copy of the Work Permit letter, and also a copy of the name/pic page and the employment visa page from the person's passport.

So it is entirely reasonable that the employer should have and retain such photocopies, but no one are they entitled to retain the originals.

Mxn, even better for the employer are certified copies, not mere photocopies. Get your solicitor to do a certified copy of the Work Permit, and also of the two relevant pages from your passport, then supply those certified copies to the employer for them to retain.
John

abcd1

Post by abcd1 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:28 pm

The employer applies for WP - so they can keep it.

A copy of WP should be given to the employee.

during FLR application - the visa is stamped on employees passport and a letter (mentioning candiates employer name, salary, position etc.) is issued and that should remain with the employer.