ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalisation for my thai wife, we are living in belfast.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

deemaxxx
Newly Registered
Ireland

naturalisation for my thai wife, we are living in belfast.

Post by deemaxxx » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi all,
would really appreciate any help and advise about our situation please. I have dual nationality as i am from belfast, i have both uk and irish passports. I have been married to my thai wife now for six years, she came to belfast in 2008 under EEA rules, she got a 5 year resident stamp in her thai passport which is due to expire in march 2013. i have been advised by the law centre in belfast to apply for naturalisation for my wife to ireland as it will take too long to get her a uk citizenship. we have a baby daughter 2 years old, born here in belfast. So my thai wife has been resident in ireland now for at least 3 years, is it possible for her to be granted naturalisation to ireland? I have an application form for her and the fee is 175 euro,s but i dont want to apply and lose this money if she has no chance whatsoever.

thankyou very much in advance. Please supply any helpfull numbers etc i can call for any advice. Cheers.

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:03 pm

just answer the few questions here. is your wife have ireland visa?is your wife working in ireland ?

deemaxxx
Newly Registered
Ireland

hi

Post by deemaxxx » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:54 pm

My wife was working in ni,ireland for four years as a cleaner, she is now out of work on sick with post natal depression, i was working untill recession hit then company went bust. I cannot find a job anywhere now, i am a qualified welder and also scaffolder.

my wife is in belfast/ireland on an EEA family permit visa. With 5year resident stamp.

thanks

kiwiwife1

Post by kiwiwife1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi,

She can apply for naturalisation after 3 years as you have been living together on the Island of Ireland. Just check through your application with a fine tooth comb to ensure everything has been provided.

This is from http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000014
If you've any questions, you can try calling them (although I hear they are next to impossible to get hold of)

"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 15, the Minister may, in his or her absolute discretion, grant an application for a certificate of naturalisation to the non-national spouse or civil partner of an Irish citizen if satisfied that the applicant—

is of full age,
is of good character,
and that citizen—
(i) are married to each other, have been married to each other for a period of not less than 3 years, and are living together, as attested to by affidavit submitted by the citizen to the Minister in the prescribed form, or
(ii)are civil partners of each other, have been civil partners of each other for a period of not less than 3 years, and are living together, as attested to by affidavit submitted by the citizen to the Minister in the prescribed form,
is, in the case of a spouse, in a marriage recognised under the laws of the State as subsisting,
had, immediately before the date of the application, a period of one year’s continuous residence in the island of Ireland,
had, during the 4 years immediately preceding that period, a total residence in the island of Ireland amounting to 2 years,
intends in good faith to continue to reside in the island of Ireland after naturalisation, and
has, before a judge of the District Court in open court, in a citizenship ceremony or in such manner as the Minister, for special reasons, allows—
made a declaration, in the prescribed manner, of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State, and
undertaken to faithfully observe the laws of the State and to respect its democratic values."

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:07 am

if your wife have residence card issue from ireland than she can apply citizenship.www.inis.gov.ie all the details are in the website.make sure dont forget to check residence calcultar? good luck .also plz update regarding any issue

deemaxxx
Newly Registered
Ireland

hi

Post by deemaxxx » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:12 am

Many thanks for your time and your replies, as i said my wife has had continuos residence in belfast/ireland now for 4years approx. I am going to submit the application next week.. I am also going to apply for irish passport for my 2year old daughter ( she currently has uk and thai passports ) maybe if my daughter has irish passport then the uk/ irish border agencies cannot deny my wife entry into either uk or ireland since my daughter was born here in belfast ( cannot seperate mother from daughter) or can they?

anyway if anyone has been through this process i would love to hear from them and also if anyone can add anymore info then please do.

thankyou again for those who took the time to reply, very much ppreciated.

deemaxxx
Newly Registered
Ireland

hi

Post by deemaxxx » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:52 am

My wife has resident stamp from uk, i am exercising my eu rights as an irish citizen for my thai wife to live with me in belfast/ireland.

can anyone add to this please and make it more clear please

dmt1977
Newly Registered

Post by dmt1977 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey there, I have Irish citizenship through my wife. We live in the north. U do not need a southern Ireland residence permit to apply for Irish naturalisation. As long as u have been married for at least three yearsand u said u been in Belfast for 4 years now. You are well within the limits for applying. I believe the fee is175 when u apply then 950 when approved. Not cheap but then then British citizenship is just as much.

Irisheddy

Re: naturalisation for my thai wife, we are living in belfas

Post by Irisheddy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:00 pm

deemaxxx wrote:Hi all,
i have been advised by the law centre in belfast to apply for naturalisation for my wife to ireland as it will take too long to get her a uk citizenship.
Hi, That is very interesting because I was under the impression that there was a huge backlog here for all kinds of residency and naturalisation applications. It is taking several years in some cases.

Is this a case of the UK taking even longer than several years? I would ask again at your law centre where they are getting their information.

kiwiwife1

Re: naturalisation for my thai wife, we are living in belfas

Post by kiwiwife1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Irisheddy wrote: Hi, That is very interesting because I was under the impression that there was a huge backlog here for all kinds of residency and naturalisation applications. It is taking several years in some cases.

Is this a case of the UK taking even longer than several years? I would ask again at your law centre where they are getting their information.
There was, but they are hoping to clear the backlog by spring next year. I only waited 8 months myself, and I applied in very late february.

craftynick

Post by craftynick » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:27 pm

I am also in a very similar situation as I live in Northern Ireland, so can have dual citizenship, and my husband is Nigerian. He also has a 5 year UK residency applied for under EU law & we are both currently working. I was concerned that because his residency is UK and not Irish this could affect him applying for citizenship but it seems not.

As for the 3 year part, does this mean we can apply after he has had his UK residency for 3 years or could it be 3 years after he arrived in Belfast, as he arrived 1st on a 6 month EU family permit, would this time be taking into account i wonder?

Best of luck with you application & let me know how it goes