ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

advice on applying ILR with dependant

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

blessco_system
Newly Registered

Post by blessco_system » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi,

I had a work permit initially granted on Feb 2007 and in 2008 I switched my visa status to Tier 1 (General). Now I am looking to apply for ILR in the beginning of Feb 2012 along with my wife who entered UK 6 months ago as my dependant.

My questions are:
- Do we need to pass life in the uk test? as I initially had work permit
- Can my wife apply for ILR as she is my dependant and If I am not wrong theoretically she should always have the same visa status as mine.
- Lastly is it better to apply in person or by post?

replies will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

chrams

Post by chrams » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:54 am

Hello,
you need to pass life in the UK test before you apply for ILR and your wife needs to extend as your dependent under Tier1 (apply for FLR) as she is not completed 2 years in the UK.
If your application is straightforward (i.e absences 180 days or less in 5 years and etc., ) you may apply through PEO.

give a good read of this board threads and check in the UKBA website as well.

hope this helps.

blessco_system
Newly Registered

Post by blessco_system » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:47 am

Many Thanks for your reply

sree_nair11

Post by sree_nair11 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:39 pm

1. Yes, you need to Pass the Life in UK Test. The test excluded for only those who comes under Judicial Review ( Entry Before April 2006)

2. As far as I know, you wife can't get ILR as she was your dependent only for 6 months. Minimum period for eligibility is 2 years.

3. PEO is the best if it's a straight forward application as you can finish the whole process in 4 hrs. But it's expensive than the postal route.