ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British refugee & post flight spouse/fiancée visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Camille1
Newly Registered

British refugee & post flight spouse/fiancée visa

Post by Camille1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Hello,

My boyfriend is in uk and holds a blue refugee travel document. He is originally from Zimbabwe. I am also Zimbabwean currently studying in Singapore. We would like to settle in uk together.

I am aware of recent developments regarding refugees and post flight relationships however I have some questions based on our circumstances. We have been together for about 18 months during which I have travelled to uk on visit visa and he had also travelled here to see me.

Being a refugee he can't return to our home country for us to get married so we can't follow the spouse visa route?

Does that mean we can only use the fiancée visa route?

Judging from people's experiences on this board it seems the fiancée visa route is tougher than the spouse visa route?
What is the best way forward for us?

Thank you for reading, your help is appreciated.

Camille1
Newly Registered

Post by Camille1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Anyone? Please help if you can

Thank you.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 pm

You can't apply for a fiancee visa in this situation; the rules don't allow for that category. Unless he can travel to you (or you both meet in a third country) to marry, you will have to apply for a marriage-visit visa and then leave the UK to apply for entry clearance as a post-flight spouse. You might struggle with a marriage-visit application in these circumstances but there's no harm in trying as it's only 76 pounds.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:50 pm

See also Aswatte (fiancé(e)s of refugees) Sri Lanka [2011] UKUT 0476 (IAC)

1. The Immigration Rules make no provision for the admission of fiancé(e)s of refugees who are in the United Kingdom with limited leave. In FH (Post-flight spouses) Iran [2010] UKUT 275 (IAC), the Upper Tribunal found that the spouse of a refugee with limited leave was in an unjustifiably worse position than the spouses of students, businessmen etc, where the immigration rules make provision for a spouse to enter with limited leave. Unlike such persons, the refugee could not return home to enjoy married life there.

2. By the same token, a refugee cannot return home in order to marry the fiancé(e) and it may be unreasonable to expect the couple to marry in a third country. Where that is the case, and where all the requirements of paragraph 290 of the rules are met, save that relating to settlement, it is unlikely that it will be proportionate to refuse the admission of the fiancé(e).

Although given that you are living in a third country it may be harder for you to rely on this case as UKBA may say that your fiance can travel there to marry you.

Camille1
Newly Registered

Post by Camille1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:07 am

thank you for your responses. i think we will get married and apply for the spouse visa. i have not seen much about marriage visit visa and also read somewhere that it may simply denied based on the eco assuming once married you will not want to leave the country to then apply for a spouse visa

Minicko
Newly Registered

Re: British refugee & post flight spouse/fiancée visa

Post by Minicko » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:43 am

Hi,
Please help me. Sorry to bother u guys but I couldn't find out how to open a new forum to post my question. My partner has ILR as a refugee and I am non EU. We want to apply for fiancé visa so that I can go to U.K. To marry but am very confused which application I must take. The thing is am non EU but residence of EU country, there is one application for post flight refugee on gov.uk /SET10 to print out and fill in, there is another one in Visa4Uk to fill in,pay and print out?! I read for people who are settled in UK is the on line form on visa4uk, but refugee settlement is different right? Or because he has refugee settlement indefinite leave to remain is the same?

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: British refugee & post flight spouse/fiancée visa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:01 am

Minicko wrote:Hi,
Please help me. Sorry to bother u guys but I couldn't find out how to open a new forum to post my question. My partner has ILR as a refugee and I am non EU. We want to apply for fiancé visa so that I can go to U.K. To marry but am very confused which application I must take. The thing is am non EU but residence of EU country, there is one application for post flight refugee on gov.uk /SET10 to print out and fill in, there is another one in Visa4Uk to fill in,pay and print out?! I read for people who are settled in UK is the on line form on visa4uk, but refugee settlement is different right? Or because he has refugee settlement indefinite leave to remain is the same?
This thread is over 6 years old :!: Click on NEW TOPIC on the top left of the page in the sub-forum and post your question there.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.