ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How will the time be counted in this case for ILR?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

captain74

How will the time be counted in this case for ILR?

Post by captain74 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:00 am

Hi

My wife obtained a work permit and a five year reseidence permit in October 2004. I was in the country as student at that time and changed status to being her dependent.

Now I am on an HSMP and owing to the location of my job it is difficult for my wife to ontinue with her job. Consequently I am thinking of making her switch from WP holder to being my (HSMP) dependent so that she can change employment freely.

The question is - if she switches to being my dependent, will she lose the time accumulated for ILR and have to start all over again?

Thanks

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:06 am

If you're wife switches to being your dependent, sadly yes, she will lose the two years that's she's accumulated on WP. She can still use them for the 10 year concession, but that's not particularly useful, is it? On the basis of your own HSMP history, you'll have likely ILR already. Perhaps even UK citizenship.

Can she switch into HSMP herself? If she can, then she won't lose the two years. Is that possible?

captain74

Post by captain74 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:11 am

Thank you Robin

There sure is some confusion in these things. When I switched into HSMP, I was asked to leave the country and come back with leave to entre. I was a WP dependent so assumed I would be subject to the same conditions as the WP holder i.e. switching into HSMP would be permitted in-country, but that was not the view taken by Home Office.

Do you think my time as WP holder dependent would be counted towards my ILR application?

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:35 am

I think you've answered your own question.

You need to realise that the HO takes a very conservative view of this thing. There are certain paths leading to settlement. Some take two years (marriage). Some take five years (employment). Some take ten years (all legal stays). And some take fourteen years (pic-and-mix, legal and not).

A WP holder is NOT the same thing as a WP dependent, as you found out. So in regards to your own case, your time as a WP dependent will not count towards the five-years for employment-based settlement. You need to accrue five years as a WP/HSMP holder yourself.

For the benefit of JAJ, all legal stays (student, WP/HSMP holder or WP/HSMP dependent) will count towards the ten-years concession! :wink:

For the benefit of John, don't forget to take your Life in the UK exam in good time before you apply for naturalisation. :wink: :wink:

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:56 am

RobinLondon wrote:.....For the benefit of JAJ, all legal stays (student, WP/HSMP holder or WP/HSMP dependent) will count towards the ten-years concession! :wink:

For the benefit of John, don't forget to take your Life in the UK exam in good time before you apply for naturalisation. :wink: :wink:
But you haven't put anything for the benefit of ppron747! :lol:
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:47 pm

Alright here goes...

(for the benefit of ppron747)

You wanna naturalise as a British Overseas Citizen? Fuggedaboutit!

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:15 pm

Oh, what the heck...

(for the benefit of Dawie)

I'm disgusted with the lot of you.

(i'm kidding, i'm kidding!)

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:53 pm

for the benefit of RobinLondon

Thank God its Friday

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:20 pm

RobinLondon wrote:For the benefit of JAJ, all legal stays (student, WP/HSMP holder or WP/HSMP dependent) will count towards the ten-years concession!
Would you agree that even time legally in the UK on a visitor's visa can count towards the 10 years? My understanding is that as long as the person is legally in the UK, the basis of that does not matter at all.
Last edited by John on Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:17 am

As it's been explained to me, even visitor visa time counts towards the ten-year rule. As does working holidaymaking, SEGS, TWES, etc. When it comes to this concession, I think the HO is very liberal. Generous even?

See part 276A of the following link. There doesn't seem to be any exclusion of visitor stays. Perhaps this is a case of "whatever isn't forbidden is allowed"?

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... ules/part7

captain74

Post by captain74 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:18 pm

Anybody disagree with the discussion so far? Any other views or information you can share on the subject?

Thanks in anticipation!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:38 am

RobinLondon wrote:As it's been explained to me, even visitor visa time counts towards the ten-year rule. As does working holidaymaking, SEGS, TWES, etc. When it comes to this concession, I think the HO is very liberal. Generous even?

See part 276A of the following link. There doesn't seem to be any exclusion of visitor stays. Perhaps this is a case of "whatever isn't forbidden is allowed"?

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... ules/part7
Can time as an EEA/Swiss citizen, or dependent family member of such a person, also count to the 10 year rule?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:00 am

JAJ wrote:Can time as an EEA/Swiss citizen, or dependent family member of such a person, also count to the 10 year rule?
Surely such a person would qualify for Permanent Residence after 5 years, so why would a 10-year Long Residence application be relevant?
John

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:51 am

Well, JAJ might be referring to the scenario in which someone does two years as a working holiday maker, five years as a student, one year on a work permit and then two years as a EEA dependent.

In this case, can the person apply for ILR after those two years as a dependent, or must s/he sit out all five years in the EEA dependent category?

I don't believe that this situation is addressed specifically in the UK-based immigration rules. However if being an EEA dependent is classified as a legal stay, which I believe it is, why should it not count under the ten-year rule? Well, that is unless the rules governing UK-based immigration categories specifically preclude it.

On a side note, it's funny how captain74's original question has descended into this more specific discussion. captain74, if you're still following this, I think it's safe to assume that apart from applying under the ten-year rule, you're going to have to say goodbye to any time spent as a WP-holder dependent.

Saloman
Newly Registered

Post by Saloman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:22 am

Hi,

Can a dependant apply on his own for ILR after completing 5 years of continues stay? The main applicant (my Dad) is completing 8 years in two categories and due to the new rule 0f 5 years, will have to apply for an extension for another year to comply with this new rule.

Plz advice if I can apply for ILR seperately.

Thank you.

Sal